KDE Panel Problems [solved]

ianw1974

Just installed LE2005, and when I log into the system, the panel in KDE doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen.

If I then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and login again, the panel appears.

Any ideas as to why it's not appearing? I've applied all system updates, and updated kernel to 2.6.11.12 (was originally 2.6.11-6 from the install). But none of this has helped.

Seems very strange! Have you taken a look at the settings in KDE Configuration -> LookNFeel -> Panels? Maybe there's something in there that needs reconfiguring? There's a Defaults button so you can reset to defaults.

If you login as a different user, does the same problem occur?

There's also a ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc configfile. Maybe somethere in there?

Or maybe it's just getting close to Halloween and the ghosts are playing tricks on you for sport? :D

It is really weird, I have a few problems, but nothing major, or I hope not.

First, when I launch the terminal, sometimes it launches, sometimes it stays for 30 seconds and disappears. Sometimes kaffeine doesn't launch, then I have to kill them all to get it to work again.

Really bizarre! As I said, the others fine, just this one system.

If you don't have any data to save at this point then I think a fresh install is in order. I think you got a few corruptions in this install and a reinstall would be quicker.

Did you do your previous installs on your other machines with this set of discs ???. If so, then have a careful look at them to see if they have any scratches or signs of CD cancer.

Just an idea.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Yes, same DVD install within a matter of days apart. The CD is well looked after in my CD case :P

The system is a lot more stable now. But the panel problem still occurs. Is really odd. I installed the nvidia drivers, so now can get proper graphics and 3D :D

If I reinstall, this is the layout of my disks:

hda = 20GB (19GB /, 1GB swap)

hdb = 160GB (/home)

Hello Ian.

Two things here. Your swap space of 1Gb is unnecessarily large. Doesn't need to be any bigger than about 500mbs although with such a large HDD I suppose it doesn't really matter much.

Your / at 19Gbs is really much too large in practical terms. It really only needs to be about 5 to 6Gbs. The extra 13Gbs could be either added to the /home account or do as I do for instance, create a partition (a real one, not just a Directory under /) called Music for all your MP3s and OGGS. Since you have a massive second HDD maybe instead use that 13GBs as a backup partition to duplicate data, for anything you cannot afford to lose so in other words if one or the other HDDs fail you still have your important data ( of course you save to DVD or CDROM don't you ???).

II think it might be a good idea to also divide up that second HDD to at least 2 or 3 partitions (real) and keep the /home partition to about 10GBs. In the event that you decide you want to reformat /home when you do a new install in the future, you will find it infinately much more convenient I can assure you.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Many thanks. I usually set 512MB for the swap, but I figured since I have quite a lot of space, setting to 1GB would be OK.

I also have my laptop and wife's desktop I inherited since I got her a laptop so for data migration before rebuild is relatively OK :P. I do have DVD writer too, and currently only using 16GB of the 160GB disk.

I'm going to have a play with it and see if it's all working fine, and try to figure out a way of fixing the problem. I had an idea, that if I delete my ~/.kde folder, maybe this will sort kde out since it will configure all it's default settings again.

With Linux, no, max is normally 512MB since Linux very rarely uses more than this. A lot of the stigma comes from Windows. Windows always requires a minimum swap size of your RAM, and maximum size of double your ram.

I just ran 1GB swap for the fun of it :P

If you haven't fixed the problem with panel/kicker, try this...

Make sure, KDE is set up to save session on logout. Then start the panel by pressing ALT+F2, and typing kicker in the prompt. After the panel starts, logout/close the KDE session. Since kicker is just a KDE application, it should be started at the beginning of the new session.