DVD playback SATA drive

munky

Hey guys,

I'm pretty stumped on this. I have a stock Mandriva LE 2005 installation, and I'm trying to play a DVD in Kaffeine. The problem is, it's really choppy. When I try to enable DMA on the drive, I get the following error:

[root@dhezir dhezir]# hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma    =  0 (off)

It's a SATA drive, so that's probably what's causing this. Could I get some help with this? Thanks!

What is the output of

ls -l /dev/dvd

? If it is a symlink to something other than /dev/sdX (X being a,b,c,d, or something), then you are not having the dvd drive recognized as SATA. If it is using the SATA driver for it, DMA is enabled by default and cannot be changed.

Am I missing somethig here ???

Is the DVDplayer/burner an SATA drive or do you mean your HDD (Harddrive) is an SATA drive ??? There is a huge difference.

Is the DVDplayer/burner on the SATA cables or on the ordinary IDE cables ??? If it is then the detection as hdc is correct.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Am I missing somethig here ???

Is the DVDplayer/burner an SATA drive or do you mean your HDD  (Harddrive) is an SATA drive ??? There is a huge difference.

Is the DVDplayer/burner on the SATA cables or on the ordinary IDE cables ??? If it is then the detection  as hdc is correct.

I'm not quite sure. If it helps, in Suse 9.3, the hard drive is sda1 and the CD/DVD drive is sr0. How can I tell for sure? Thanks for any help - I really need my DVD to work in Mandriva!

/dev/dvd/ > hdc means that /dev/dvd is just a symlink to /dev/hdc which is the real adress of your dvd-drive, but this puzzles me abit, because to my knowing sata-drives are recognised like scsi-drives (sda, sdb and the like)

At least the Suse-output seems to suggest that you have sata-drives connected to the sata-ports, but as far as I know scsi and sata devices do not use dma and therefore you cannot change anything there

I don't know for sure; I don't have a sata optical drive to test. But my preliminary googling indicates that you may have to wait for kernel 2.6.14 to get good support. Mdv 2006 uses a patched 2.6.12 kernel and I don't know what stuff from later kernels mandriva backported into its kernel. You may want to do a little research on your own but there seems to be significant kernel development going on in sata optical drives. I'm farly sure it's a kernel issue however.

• 4 weeks later...
If I'm not mistaken, they do use DMA, it's only that you have no influence upon it.

on both types of drives DMA is standard and you can't influence this, sorry I was a bit unclear on this

Plextor has a SATA-DVD-Burner out, which seems to be a really nice piece of hardware

Stock 2.6.14 and below kernels do not support setting drive options, such as dma. This has been improved and is somewhat better in 2.6.15 which isnt out yet.

Also, hdparm has poor support for sata stuff, if you want to set whatever sata options you can, try 'blockdev'

iphitus