Finding DLLs?

neddie

Hi all,

I'm trying Wine for the first time (running LE2005, got wine-20050211 and libwine1-20050211 from urpmi).

I can run notepad and Firefox, so wine is installed and running. However when I try to run gartrip (for loading and editing GPS tracks), I get a missing DLL error:

$ wine /mnt/windows/Program\ Files/GARtrip/Gartrip.exe
err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\windows\\Program Files\\GARtrip\\Gartrip.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\mnt\\windows\\Program Files\\GARtrip\\Gartrip.exe" failed, status c0000135

Gartrip works fine when booted to Windows. I've tried setting the environment variable WINEDLLPATH to include where the DLL lives (in /mnt/windows/I386), and I've copied that DLL to /usr/lib/wine as well, but I still get the error. However there are no other DLLs in /usr/lib/wine, only .dll.so files.

Anybody got any clues here?

Thanks!

Edited by neddie

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, that's got me further.

After copying the DLLs to the directory like you said (but without doing anything to the registry, not even sure how from wine??), I then got different errors about OCXs. So I copied them to the same directory (making the filenames upper case too) and finally got a window popping up. Only snag is, it's an empty window with a popup saying "run-time error '9': subscript out of range". :unsure:

This popup, and the window behind it, don't respond to anything (except being killed) so I'm stuck. The console window is spitting out several lines saying "fixme:ole:" about OLEPictureImpl and OleLoadPictureEx, so I'm guessing it's trying to load the splash screen and not finding some picture libraries? It works fine in XP, but I'd really like to run it inside Mandriva. Any ideas what might be missing?

One thing that might be worth trying is downloading the VB Runtime installer, and then running this install using wine vbruntimeinstaller.exe and see if it installs, and puts things as they should be.

Then try running again, and going from there. Of course, you need to be sure it matches the runtime required by gartrip.

Dagnammit, is there no end to these Windows problems?? :angry:

I got a "Visual Basic Runtime files" installer from microsoft.com, called VBRun60sp3.exe:

VBRun60sp3.exe is a self-extracting executable file that installs the latest versions of the Microsoft Visual Basic run-time files required by all applications created with Visual Basic 6.0.
but when I try to run it with wine it asks if I want to install, and then just gives me errors:

Could not load 'KERNEL.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL): Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2
Could not load 'KERNEL.DLL' required by 'W95INF16', error=2
err:thunk:_loadthunk (W95INF16.DLL, w95thk_ThunkData16, W95INF32.DLL): Unable to load 'W95INF16.DLL', error 2

and popups: "Thunkconnect32 failure!", "Error loading w95inf32.dll". The errors from trying to start up Gartrip are the same as before.

:wall:

I've tried copying my kernel32.dll (I haven't got a kernel.dll) into the drive_c/windows/system directory and renaming it to KERNEL.DLL but still no joy. Any tips? (I know it's unusual to ask for Windows advice here but this will help me stop using Windows if I can get this working!)