Mandriva 2006 kills Network in Windows

Ovidiu

What a fuzz, but at least you all convinced me to search for another cause. I reinstalled mdk 10.1, but the problem remained. After consulting my router supplier we found out that the cause was there. I use the official 2006 release (power pack dvd). So that could not be the problem After installing and configuring a new router the problem was solved. Nevertheless it remains strange that the problem with the adsl connection only arised after a linux reboot (generally within 15 minutes) and not after a windows reboot.

With regard to KDE, I experienced some crashes (freezing) having 5 (obviously demanding) applications open. Another irritating thing is that the lay out of the right side of the kde bar changes spontaniously after opening certain applications (leaving an icon there). Also the start menu sometimes leaves away entire programm groups, which reappear after a reboot. With mdk 10.1 I never experienced something thing like that. In addition: my file shredder (to empty the trash can), which performs excellently iin 10.1 didn't work anymore in 2006. In 2006 I replaced it with with kgpg (a kde utility) but the files destroyed with this programm were easily recoverable using R-Linux under windows. This is really a serious issue for me as destroying confidential information is essental for me.

I appreciate the efforts of Mandriva to improve its distro's. The new lay out looks great, but there are too many practical issues which are too time consuming to cope with.

So, I really had it and Iĺl stick with mdk 10.1 for the time being.

Regards, Earny

• 4 weeks later...

I am not a mandrake/mandriva user, but I thought you all should know: this is not a problem exclusive to Mandriva. I have a dual boot with Gentoo 2005.0 and XP SP2 here, and I get the exact same behaviour: Every time I boot Gentoo and then go back to Windows, my Yukon doesn't work. "Network cable is unplugged", windows says.

An interesting twist: If I go to windowsupdate and update my Yukon driver, it 'wakes up'. But if I use the newest driver, my computer freezes within minutes (It's a common bug with Yukon users on XP, don't know if it was fixed - probably not). So I have to create a system restore point, update then restore back. Then it works until next time I boot into Linux.

I haven't been able to solve this yet.

• 2 months later...
Guest brinner21

I am having the same problem. I am trying Linux out for the first time and have been using Ubuntu and Madiva. I first installed Ubuntu as a dual boot with XP and no problem with the network, but on changing to Mandriva the network connection is killed when shutting down. It is not a bios problem as the network is still enabled with in the bios. But every time Mandriva is shut down this happens to me. Any thoughts?