Keyboard scroll wheel

uralmasha

I have this keyboard with all fancy extra-keys, it's a BenQ make (it's not listed in mdv keyboarddrake).

At present i manually start hotkeys when I want (some of) the fancy keys enabled. However, some of them don't work and, according to xev, don't send any signal.

Is there a way to enable them? I am interested in the scroll weel + 2 buttons, look like the mouse duplicate on the left side of the KB. I googled around but all I could find is "tried something and now my j-k keys scrol" (and ZZ closes windows, I guess :) )

Anyway, has anyone that thing working?

I have a free version of x86-64 Mandriva 2006, "community" upgraded to "official" via urpmi. Kernel 2-6-12-12smpmdk.

Does it connect strictly through ps/2? Or usb?

Mandriva is great at recognizing stuff, as long as it is not emulated by Microsoft. Unfortunately, many devices are not "real" and must be emulated in "secret ways" by ms windows. Not a lost cause, but not an immediate solution, either.

Ixthusdan,

It is a wireless thingy, the radio piece has 2 wires plugged into the PC: ps/2 port for the keyboard and usb/ps2 (with a converter) for the mouse.

Whether the mouse is USB or ps/2, Mandriva indeed doesn't make a difference. The mouse wasn't working properly (but then it was cooker) up till the moment I installed rpms for xev, this magically solved the problem :) .

I am not sure about the keyboard, whether it is "emulated" or not. BenQ, as i see it (i may be wrong), is a budget-gadget brand, so I'd expect the KB be something like a generic drug... A copy of a bigger brand ... At least the keycodes that it sends to xev from the working fancy keys correspond to those of logitech iTouch (i.e. "mail" button indeed tries to start mail program). But setting the keyboard type to "iTouch" or whatever else in MCC/Hardware doesn't make those keys "work" in the user interface. I have to run "hotkeys -t itouch" in the console, to be able to, e.g. mute sound from keyboard.

I have a similar device, also an off-brand. It had trouble, even in windows until I plugged the keyboard ps/2 and the mouse usb. That seemed to have solved the problems. Worked in linux both ways. I have not tried to get the special keys to work in linux, although I can't say that I have used them in windows either! :lol: I'll have to give it a shot.

My device connects the wireless pickup through the same line, but obviously the input signal is different for keyboard and mouse. It might be worth a shot to see if the usb interface works any better than 2 ps/2's.

I briefly examined the doc page of Lineak (it is included into mdv distribution), and my first problem is that the keyboard's signals are not recognized by e.g. xev. To configure keys, their signals should be caught. Any ideas about how to do it?

Meantime, plugging only USB port doesn't make a difference compared to ps/2.