How to upgrade from MDK 9.1 to latest version

manza7

There are several methods. The easiest is to download the ISOs burn them and the installer will ask you if you want to do a clean install or just upgrade.

The other is using the package manager (urpmi). Broadband connection requiered.

1. Delete your old media sources by

urpmi.removemedia -a

2. Get new media sources. Visit easyurpmi

3. Install upgrades by

urpmi --auto-select --auto

definitely go with a clean install to go from 9.1. i did an upgrade from 2005 to 2006 via urpmi without any problems. note that urpmi --auto-select will not install the kernel, so you also have to do a separate kernel install.

Does clean install means I have to re-setup everything I am currently using? Samba, PAN, Azureus, Mozilla etc.

I am using this as a file server mostly so there are backup cron jobs setup and 8 users using it, minimum disruption is preferred.

Any more advices?

Thanks

Does clean install means I have to re-setup everything I am currently using? Samba, PAN, Azureus, Mozilla etc.

Unfortunately, that's a possibility. I would backup /etc, /home and /usr/local dirs (and any other dir you installed software to), would do clean install and would try copying older config files manually, one by one to the new server.

My advice is to wait out the install of the newest (2006) version for a few weeks (a month would be safe), because there are some troublesome glitches which will be addressed asap due to their nature.

2005 (10.2) is very stable though.

Thanks for all who replied. Sounds like it would be best for me to wait a bit and then start from scratch with the latest version.

Here is my other question, I have 3 drives in my server, 2 identical data drives (250G), both running ext3 fs, one is a complete backup of the other. Mandrake is loaded on a separate drive (20G). If I simply re-install latest Mandrake on the 20G drive, when I am all done, will it automatically recognize the 2 data drives and the data in them?

Thanks

Yes, it will- do not worry about that... almost.

BUT: If you have issues while installing just disconnect the two 250G drives, do your installation and then reconnect them. Either the harddrake daemon will take care, or you can use mcc/disk manager to set new mount points for those two drives.