No audio on DVD w/headphones.

Pepse

OK, I have a LG DVD player and I am running Xine. I have excellent audio thru the speakers but no audio when I plug in the headphones in the front of the unit. I downloaded the Xine D4D and D5D packages. I have switched to D4D, D5D, VCD, DVD and CDA. No sound on any. I do have sound when playing an audio CD w/headphones in XMMS. Any ideas??

Later. Pepse.

It's definitely not a Linux specific problem. Most likely, there is no support for the DVD data out on the headphone jack of the player. If you try running the headphones to the back from the sound card, do you get sound from the headphones out line of the sound card??? If so then your culprit is in the capabilities of the drive, and not even in the connections you've made...

Sometimes there is a patch wire that runs from the DVD drive to the sound card that supports sound from the drive... but that shouldn't effect your ability to play from the DVD player itself. There is additionally, usually, a little dial on the player to adjust volume... but I assume you tried that...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I emailed LGE and they had me call tech support and when I told them of my problem they asked for the mod number and serial number and then said to send it in as it is their problem. So, that is good to know; mainly that they admit it is their problem. Now if they send me a diff model instead of repairing my old one will I have to re-install Xine??

Later. Pepse.

You shouldn't have to change anything in Xine. Xine just has to know where your DVD drive is, so it knows where/how to access it. It uses /dev/dvd & /dev/rdvd if I remember correctly. Mandrake automatically creates these when you install it, you may have to play around with them when you replace the drive.