Brother Printer Driver Install

WmCook

Guest patochan

Hi there, I'm new to this but I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to install a Borther MFC as well and I'm having incredible difficulty. I've been in contact with the brother people and they are very nice, but it's still not working. They recommend using C-shell to do all the commands, but I've finally gotten Bash (a bit) workable for me. Should I switch to C-shell? and about the everything installed -- here's what mine says:

[root@www linux drivers]# urpmi cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

Everything already installed

[root@www linux drivers]# urpme cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

unknown package: cupswrapperMFC5440CN-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

Can anyone interpret this for me?

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm having the EXACT problem. Mine is a 5440, though, so just different enough, right? I tried using the drivers available in Mandrake for the closest Brother machine to mine and it didn't work. I got the printer to tell me that it was receiving the data and then... nothing. I've been trying to figure this out using the Brother online help, but I think it may be a combination of them not using Mandrake or urpmi and the language barrier (they're based in Tokyo).

I'll post back with more info when it comes in. In fact, WmCook, would you like to see the emails I got from brother?

Liz

I really hate to tell both of you this, but I have a brother mfc unit as well, and brother does not do a good job at working with linux! I managed to get my machine to burp once. I would really rather that it tried to print, but I knew something was trying to communicate. :lol:

WmCook, I think that the rpm will only work with 9.1. Brother needs to update their driver.

• 3 months later...
Guest patochan

I'm writing back... 3 months later... to say it works now! I went in cshell and did urpmi everything and it's working like a charm! Okay, it was until I did something and now anything starting with a K doesn't work. But it printed and scanned and everything! I'm extremely pleased with my Brother MFC and the folks in Tokyo were very helpful.

So, that's fixed.... Now about my new problem. I keep getting this error when using anything starting with a K (Konqueror, KghostView, Kwrite etc)

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

Error while reading filter description for true. Empty command line received.

I can print with Firefox and OpenOffice just fine, just not the K's.

I noticed there are other people out there with this problem, but no solutions have been posted. I didn't change any settings, although I did move and the printer was moved as well. I uninstalled the drivers and installed the updated ones. Since other programs are not affected, just Konqueror etc, I'm thinking it's more than just drivers. Right?

Help please!

(Should I start a new topic?)

Edited by patochan