can't connect to internet thru XP box connection

kobalt

Hi all, i've recently taken the plunge and am migrating accross to linux after spending all my computing life on windows - so far I'm having a blast! :D

I have 2 problems that I'm trying to resolve and have been quite stuck (will just work on 1 for the time being!)

I have installed Mandrake 10.1 community & am trying to connect to the internet through an XP box running ICS. I have assigned a static IP: 192.168.0.50, I know the connection is alive as I can ping www.google.com I just cant access any web pages on Konqueror (keep getting a timeout error) I've setup the internet connection to use 192.168.0.1 as Gateway & DNS, I turned IPV6 off by adding "alias net-pf-10 off" in modprobe.conf - and am still having the same trouble.

I am not sure where to look next and am hoping someone could set me in the right direction!

Welcome aboard. :)

Make sure your security level is set for now to "normal" and check if your firewall is enabled.

Try to add your ISPs DNS addresses to your /etc/resolv.conf for now in order to check if it is a DNS issue.

Thanks for your reply, problem is still there tho. Firewall is disabled and security level set to "Poor"

I have added ISPs DNS to the resolv.conf file, but still havent been able to get the browser to display webpages. Is there any settings in the browser that I should be looking at?

Does the same happen if you use e.g. Mozilla or Firefox? Or is it only a problem with Konq? If it happens with Firefox/Mozilla, too, type in their webbar "about:config" then in the searchbar, type IPV6 and set "disable ipv6" from "false" to "true" by double clicking. Then check if the problem is still there. If yes, you might need to post some of your internet setttings files. But let's first try the simple approach before digging deeper into your system. :)

Hi Arctic,

Thanks heaps for your help! I solved the problem - am pretty sure it was a combination of a dodgy installation and a (possibly) faulty NIC. I was also having problems setting up Samba to browse my XP box - sometimes i could see it, sometimes I couldnt. And, when I could see it, I could never actually browse its shared folders.

I was checking out the network settings and noticed that the MAC address of the NIC was ff:ff:ff:ff figured that it was possibly faulty - so, threw in a new one, and, just to be on the safe side re-installed the OS. I have now got the network running so that I can connect to the internet thru the XP box, and I can browse its shared folders. I am now in the process of updating the Media manager thru the easyurpmi (?) website!!

Thanks again!