Simulation

Just remove them all, and then open a root console and type in "urpmi wine".

For easy setup of wine, I suggest winetools.

Did just as you said and it worked :P (with freecell, anyway). Will try winetools tomorrow. Many thanks.

This is 'tomorrow'. Downloaded package winetools-212jo.tar.gz from site 'winetools and unpacked using unzip (not sure if this was correct). Ran ./install while at /usr/local/winetools/scripts and got a load of error-messages; neither 'msgfmt' nor 'envsubst' can be found on my system Any further tips would be greatly appreciated.

Have another small (??) problem now with wine. I downloaded gettext (which apparently gave me envsubst and msgfmt), and ran winetools. This time I was able to start the setup procedure, but was informed that my version of wine had not been recognised. I nevertheless ran 'wine freecell.exe' again but, instead of running correctly (as it had done prior to installing winetools), I was given the following error-messages:

Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system" is not accessible.

err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\shlwapi.dll") not found

err:module:import_dll Library shlwapi.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\shell32.dll") not found

err:module:import_dll Library SHELL32.dll (which is needed by L"H:\\WindozExecs\\freecell.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"H:\\WindozExecs\\freecell.exe" failed, status c0000135

OK, I thought, just uninstall winetools, but this failed because MCC cannot find the package installed. I have re-installed wine, in the hope that any mods set by winetools would have been overwritten, but the same error-messages occur. How on earth do I overcome this problem? Ideally, I would just like to work WITHOUT winetools, which seems to me to be too intrusive.

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to run a Windoz internet app and would prefer to run it in 10.2, if that is possible (because I kid myself that 10.2 is more secure that Windoz  :unsure: ). Am I correct in this assumption and, if so, does a suitable simulator for 10.2 exist?

I know this is a bit late in the game, but I can tell you that Cross Over works really well on my system. It basically is wine, and they are one of the biggest supporters (THE biggest?) of the Wine Project, but they made it much easier to install and use things. I also tried getting things done with pure wine, but I'm just not that advanced at command line stuff or have the time to become so. It doesn't cost that much.

(BTW, I still use CX4.1, and it worked on Mdk 10.1 and now on Mdv2006 with no problems. I've installed Office 2000, ITunes, Quicktime, and RETScreen Excel worksheets ( http://www.retscreen.net/ ) and everything works perfectly, as far as I can tell. Still haven't tried freecell...)

I've just been using wine, and whilst it can sometimes take a while to get things working, it's still relatively easy. Mostly it's copying the existing app installation from Windows into the wine directory, and then sorting out any missing DLL's after that.

However, this is a really good link:

http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

use this after installing wine for the first time, and you can install Internet Explorer, plus other apps too, and then configure any manual installs after that.

If you happen to ever need Lotus Notes to work under wine, here is a HOWTO I put together:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=29612

I used your original suggestion (from Sep 29 2005) of "urpmi wine", then, in the sidenet-link that you recently suggested, I downloaded 'wine-config-sidenet-1.9.0.tgz' to a sub-directory in my home-directory. There is no indication in the 'Readme' of where the files have to be unpacked to, so I left them in the sub-directory; this was possibly a mistake. I then ran ./setup, as described in the Readme, which resulted in a series of error-messages - (contained below). I cannot find any Windows-apps, not in /home/lawrence/.menu/wineapps anyway, so I assume that something went wrong with the configuration. Have you any suggestions on how I might correct the situation (I hope the listing is helpful)? BTW, my version of Windows is 2000 Pro and this is LE2005.

Install option (0-4)? : 0

Wine configuration only.

SETUP STAGE 1

Stopping wine process ...

Creating ~/.wine ...

Setting up install-time configuration ...

Setting up wine base directory structure ...

Setting up drives ...

Linked /mnt/cdrom to e drive.

Creating ~/.fonts ...

Linked /home/lawrence/c/windows/fonts -> ~/.fonts

Installing base font ...

SETUP STAGE 2

Setting up default registry ...

Setting up sidenet-spicific configuration ...

Setting up language pack for Language : en ...

Install prefix is /usr/lib/wine

Installing MPlayer codec package ...

Registering MPlayer codec package ...

Installing ShellLinker ...

Installing ReactOS Explorer ...

Creating shortcut: Desktop -> My Computer

wine: cannot find '{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Explorer

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\'

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\Explorer.lnk'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Control Panel

/usr/bin/wineshelllink: line 149: /home/lawrence/.menu/wineapps: No such file or directory

Creating shortcut: Start -> Application Uninstaller

/usr/bin/wineshelllink: line 149: /home/lawrence/.menu/wineapps: No such file or directory

Creating shortcut: Start -> Wine Configuration

Creating shortcut: Start -> Task Manager

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\Accesories\'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Notepad

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Registry Editor

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Mine Sweeper

SETUP STAGE 3

Setting up wine configuration ...

Opening: http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/wcsstart190.html

This command fails if no browser installed.

All setup completed.

Did you say you removed wine?  You still need wine installed.  sidenet is just a configurator for wine!

No, I installed wine with the "urpmi wine" command, prior to downloading sidenet. It looked as though wine was taken from the distro DVD (i.e. not from a mirror), which would make it a pretty old version. Perhaps there's some incompatibility there?

Mine has always been pulled from the mirrors, but then I always setup my urpmi sources before I install any further software from a default installation.

Do you have all your repositories configured? (main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates). If not, add them, then try removing wine with urpme wine and then reinstalling again.

When you run the sidenet script, it will rename your existing ~/.wine directory and create a clean wine installation for your user.

Mine has always been pulled from the mirrors, but then I always setup my urpmi sources before I install any further software from a default installation.

Do you have all your repositories configured?  (main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates).  If not, add them, then try removing wine with urpme wine and then reinstalling again.

When you run the sidenet script, it will rename your existing ~/.wine directory and create a clean wine installation for your user.

I'm pretty sure that the repositories were all configured but, just to be on the safe side, I did the following, all in a root konsole:

urpme wine

urpmi.removemedia -a

easy-urpmi (then pasted the output into the konsole)

urpmi wine (it went to the mirror this time)

I then switched to a non-root konsole and proceeded as described in the sidenet Readme, with ./setup. Sadly the same error messages appeared, so I'm no further down the road.

I've no idea, my script didn't give me those errors on the menu.

I would suggest extracting to another directory with a cleanly extracted sidenet configuration.

If it's working correctly, you should see a load of .winennnnnnnn directories in your home directory. nnnnnn being date/time.

I've no idea, my script didn't give me those errors on the menu.

I would suggest extracting to another directory with a cleanly extracted sidenet configuration.

If it's working correctly, you should see a load of .winennnnnnnn directories in your home directory.  nnnnnn being date/time.

I followed your suggestion with another directory and a further sidenet extraction/installation. Now, the contents of ~/.wine.0512221502/sidenet/wcs.log are:

-- Default registry --

Converted temp dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "TEMP" = L"c:\\windows\\temp"

Converted path dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "PATH" = L"c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;c:\\windows\\command"

Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" = L"c:\\windows"

Converted system dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "winsysdir" = L"c:\\windows\\system"

wine: cannot find 'wine.inf'

-- wcs.inf --

wine: cannot find 'wcs.inf'

-- Language Pack --

wine: cannot find 'wcsen.inf'

-- w32codec install --

wine: cannot find 'w32codecs.inf'

-- Show start page --

wine: cannot find 'http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/wcsstart190.html'

Is this significant? Also, does this mean that wine should look for a Windows-directory called \windows on c:, because, if so, it'll have difficulties? My Win2000 Pro installation is under \winnt. Presumeably I'd have to modify some config-file or other, but which one? :unsure:

BTW, there's only the one directory .wine.nnnnnnnnnn (and that's .wine.0512221502)

No, winnt isn't relative, it's not looking in Windows for anything.

You have some weird problem with your wine installation, which is causing you the problems. A lot of the wcs stuff is relating to the sidenet script, because it can't find it's own files.

Where did you extract it to? Mine was in /home/ian/downloads/wine-config-sidenet-1.9.0 and I sat in this directory and typed ./setup and it worked fine.

No, winnt isn't relative, it's not looking in Windows for anything.

You have some weird problem with your wine installation, which is causing you the problems.  A lot of the wcs stuff is relating to the sidenet script, because it can't find it's own files.

Where did you extract it to?  Mine was in /home/ian/downloads/wine-config-sidenet-1.9.0 and I sat in this directory and typed ./setup and it worked fine.

Yes, the problems in the installation ARE strange. I placed the sidenet .tgz-file in

/home/lawrence/WineStuffVeryNew, went there (with cd), then did a

tar -xzvf /home/lawrence/WineStuffVeryNew/wine-config-sidenet-1.9.0.tgz.

I then went THERE, i.e. /home/lawrence/WineStuffVeryNew/wine-config-sidenet, and did the ./setup. Possibly the tar had the wrong options?

I just used tar xvf from memory.  Usually I extract in the gui, and go to the command line after that.

The directory ~/.menu/ did not exist; this appeared to be causing the problem. In /usr/bin/wineshelllink, at line 149, is the statement "mdk_entry >> "$HOME/.menu/wineapps". So I created the directory .menu manually and ran ./setup again; this time the messages were as follows:

Installing MPlayer codec package ...

Registering MPlayer codec package ...

Installing ShellLinker ...

Installing ReactOS Explorer ...

Creating shortcut: Desktop -> My Computer

wine: cannot find '{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Explorer

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\'

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\Explorer.lnk'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Control Panel

Creating shortcut: Start -> Application Uninstaller

Creating shortcut: Start -> Wine Configuration

Creating shortcut: Start -> Task Manager

wine: cannot find '__startmenu__\Programs\Accesories\'

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Notepad

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Registry Editor

Creating shortcut: Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> Mine Sweeper

It seems to be an improvement, just don't know whether or not these errors are important. Just one other question; which directory do I have to be in to run an app using wine?

It's just creating shortcuts, so you can ignore this bit. you can be in your home directory, or you can create an icon. Let's say you have Google Earth installed (not that it works but never mind), this would be what you type:

wine "c:\program files\google\google earth\googleearth.exe"

quotes are important as above because of the spaces in program files, etc. Obviously, replace the middle bit with your program name, and that's all you need to do.