Simulation

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can run Windows using Wine. I have never done so but many others here at MUB have, so someone may be able to help you.

The superior security of Linux has been convincingly proven to be a fact nowdays and only windows syncofants cannot face the truth and especially Microsoft and the commercial Anti-Virus companys.

A warm welcome to you from MUB. John.

more often than not there is a version made for linux or you can find the function built in.

whats the app?

you might be able to use wine

for heavy windows lifting i'd use vmware

Thanks all, found 'wine-20050614-1.mdk10.2.thac.i586.rpm' and 'winelib-0.3-1mdk.src.rpm' in RPM-Search. However, when I tried to install (by double-clicking) I was rewarded with the message:

unable to access hdlist file of "main", medium ignored.

This clearly is the wrong way to install stuff in Mandrake; some more help is desperately requested.

You must set up your urpmi repositories first, say from easyurpmi.zarb.org

Which wine version is best is a tough question- newest is not always the best. The wine site has MANY wine versions built for mandriva, you have to toy a bit to find the best one (e.g. one that can run Internet Sexploiter 6 and MS Office without any major issue).

Crossover Office is an easy to use, polished wine version, which has no "real" advantages over wine, and it's also commercial- while wine is free.

Finally, vmware runs (emulating a whole computer) almost all windows applications (not all games though, support for D3D and video hardware acceleration is still limited), but it is painfully expensive.

There should be a menu for wine somewhere, but anyway- for a correct wine config and installing a few windows applications you may use winetools.

Definitely cannot find a menu for wine and keep getting a message from winetools, saying that wine is already installed; quite confusing. Perhaps I need a different emulator :unsure: By the way, the app that I need to run is the uploader from ebay; can't remember its name. Perhaps there is a linux equivalent (probably asking too much).

Edited by satelliteuser083

I am on PAYG dial-up, so I would like to avoid keep having to download files in the hope that they work. As stated above, I have already downloaded 2 files ('wine-20050614-1.mdk10.2.thac.i586.rpm' and 'winelib-0.3-1mdk.src.rpm') which are sitting on the hdd. Is it not possible, using the 'urpmi.addmedia' command, to point urpmi to these files and then simply let the latter rip?

Yes you can run Windows using Wine. I have never done so but many others here at MUB have, so someone may be able to help you.

The superior security of Linux has been convincingly proven to be a fact nowdays and only windows syncofants cannot face the truth and especially Microsoft and the commercial Anti-Virus companys.

A warm welcome to you from MUB.                        John.

Hello John

I am still having unexplainable problems with the installation of wine. Would it be possible for you to put me into contact with a member of MUB who has experience with it?

Many thanks Lawrence

When you install an application using wine you have to go to the directory where your .exe file is using a terminal and run

wine nameof.exe

and it then installs in a hidden directory called .wine. Anything with a period in front of it is hidden. So in order to run your program you have to "show all files" (this is easy to do with Konqueror in KDE but not sure about gnome) and then navigate to where your program is installed. In mine it's /home/mystified/.wine/fake_windows/Program_Files/name of program. When you navigate to the program using the cd command (change directories) and you find the .exe for the program you want to run then you type wine program.exe. It should then (hopefully) start the application. Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your help. I had previously copied an app from Windows (freecell.exe) into the folder WindozExecs for testing purposes (possibly a mistake to simply copy it??). When I tries to run it as you suggested, I got the following message:

[lawrence@localhost WindozExecs]$ wine freecell.exe

wine client error:9: version mismatch 178/157.

Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,

or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.

Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

On checking with the MCC (Software Packages Removals) I discovered that the following wine-packages are on the system.

libwine1-20050211-2mdk

libwine1-devel-20050211-2mdk

wine-20050614-1.mdk10.2.thac

winelib-0.3-1mdk

There appears to be an incompatability amongst them. Any tips on sorting them out?