No ATI 3d?

erpe

Hopefully not being patronising here, but you did restart X didn't you? You don't need to wait for the next version of mandriva - this can be made to work. What happens if you type

modprobe -r agpgart
modprobe agpgart

? Hopefully you should see no output from either command. Essentially agpgart is a module in the drivers, but it never seems to work. There is the same module built into the kernel (I hope it's in the mandriva one...) which works much better...

Edited by phunni

Hopefully not being patronising here, but you did restart X didn't you?  You don't need to wait for the next version of mandriva - this can be made to work.  What happens if you type

modprobe -r agpgart
modprobe agpgart

?  Hopefully you should see no output from either command.  Essentially agpgart is a module in the drivers, but it never seems to work.  There is the same module built into the kernel (I hope it's in the mandriva one...) which works much better...

I rebooted X. The commands give me the following:

bash: modprobe: command not found

Thanks for your help it is appreciated!

Edited by erpe

The agpgart is in use as you have sis-agp loaded, which is the module for your graphics card, or at least that's what I think it's currently using. That's why you're having problems unloading it.

You can test this quite easily, su and root password first, then type:

lsmod | grep agpgart

and post back the results.....

Guest china1922

After over a year of trying, I finally got the ATI drivers installed thanks to this thread

and this one:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...threadid=361450

Thank-you

This is what I did to get the kernel and kernel-source to be the same:

in Konsole: typed 'su' then typed the root password

typed 'uname -r' (mine read "2.6.11-6mdk")

I then went to the Mandriva Control Center and clicked on the ' (-) look at installed software...'

in the search box, I typed in 'kernel-source'

my 'kernel-source' was "2.6.11-12mdk"...(different from 'uname -r')...so I uninstalled the 'kernel-source' by selecting it and clicking 'remove'

I then exited ' (-) look at installed software...' and clicked on ' (+) look at installable software...'

in the search box I typed in 'kernel-source', found the correct kernel-source in the list that came up (2.6.11-6mdk), highlighted it and clicked 'install'

I then modified the directions a little from the linuxquestions.org link and somehow got the ATI drivers installed!!