Setting up internet

Fink

hi, I've been trying to set up a speedtouch adsl modem but I've given up on it and I'm now planning to use this: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=48449

I'm not sure if my serial port port will work with it or not, I have a pci modem that has two serial ports and one other one above the usb ports. I would like to know if it will be easy for me to set up my connection (any links on how would be great) or whether I would need a new pci adapter.

Thanks

Niall

If you have a Speedtouch, it most likely has a LAN port on it. Does your Mainboard have onboard LAN ??? If not then buy a cheap LAN card and then setup using LAN instead of USB. ADSL USB is still a pain in the backside as you have already experienced. Setting up using LAN will have you connected to the Internet in less than 5 minutes. A special note: When you open Mandrake Control Centre and go to the section to setup your connection, DO NOT select ADSL even though you know it is an ADSL modem. You MUST select LAN which I think is at the top of the list of choices.

Hope this helps you. Cheers and welcome to our MUB world. John.

I've got the old version of the router/modem that you linked to - and it's great, real value for money.

If you get one of those, just connect via ethernet - follow John's instructions and connect via lan.

You should then be able to point your browser at 10.0.0.1, configure the modem with your username and password for your adsl service, and thats it!