Can't Browse Internet

Guest mufc_au

Guest mufc_au

Hi,

I have just recently installed Mandrake LE 2005. I have managed to get everything going and have setup my internet connection. Everything dials and logs in perfectly but when I open either Firefox or Konqueror and try to open any URL nothing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Moved from Software by theYinYeti

You could try to see if this works.

In the URL bar type "about:config" (without the quotes)

then in the filter bar type IPV6. Change the option from False to True. Then close and reopen Firefox, and see if that helps.

Guest mufc_au

I've tired your first suggestion but nothing changed. I opened the resolv.conf but I am not really sure what I am meant to be looking for.

Edited by mufc_au

Do you use a LAN connection or Modem connection for your internet connection?

When you created the connection, did it ask for details such as IP Address, DNS Servers and so on. You would normally need to supply the DNS Server IP's that your ISP uses.

Welcome aboard :)

The /etc/resolv.conf has a DNS-server entry that handles the resolving of IP-adresses like 123.456.789 to a more widely known form like www.google.com. If there are "bad values" in the resolv.conf (that conflict/are incompatible with the ipv protocol you are using), there won't be any websites displayed in your browser. The /etc/resolv.conf that can look like this:

nameserver 10.0.0.1

or

nameserver 192.168.0.1

These values are the adresses or your modem/router but not from your ISP provider.

Open a terminal (the little black monitor icon) and type

su

hit Enter and type the root password (it won't be displayed) and hit Enter again. You are now using the system with administrator privileges.

Now try to ping websites. First try with

ping www.google.com

If you do not get a positive feedback, press ctrl+c (aborts the command). Now try with the google IP adress

ping 216.239.57.99

If you get a positive response there, your network is functioning but needs finetuning due to ipv issues.

If you use an ADSL connection with an ethernet card (ethernet → modem/router → walljack), these values need to be changed (as root) to a valid DNS server from your Internetserviceprovider (ISP) or from a free DNS server. If you change the nameservers, your resolv.conf can look like this e.g.

nameserver 217.237.150.225

nameserver 217.237.149.161

DNS-Servers can be found with Google.

In any case you should for now disable any firewall you have set up and check if your security settings are set to "normal" (default with LE2005 is "high", which is unnecessary). Both things can be adjusted in the Mandriva Control Center (MCC, aka. Configure your computer). You might need to enable "expert settings" for this in the top menu bar in the MCC.

Good luck :)

Guest mufc_au

I use a dial up modem to connect to the internet. When it asked for IP Addressed and that I told it to find them automatically.

I will try everything thats been suggested and get back to you on my progress. Thankyou for the help you've given me so far

Edited by mufc_au

Guest mufc_au

I tired to ping google.com and nothing happened. I pinged 216.239.57.99 and nothing happened until i hit ctrl+c when it showed some stats saying that 99% failed or something to that effect, I can't really remember.

The Firewall is turned off but at the bottom of the firewall configuration screen it has eth0 selected. Since I am connection with a dial up modem would I be right in saying I need ppp+ selected? Everytime I change this it changes straight back to eth0.

Any ideas?

Edited by mufc_au

It's not changing as such, it's just that when you go back into the configuration screen it always has an option as a default.

On mine, it always sets itself to ppp, but I use eth0 for my firewall device. Once configured, it's OK, and will be using the device you selected, so no need to go back into the configuration screen to check it - as this isn't a true representation of what's selected.

If you type the following, you can disable the firewall while testing the pinging to make sure it's not being stopped. To do this:

su (supply root password when asked)
service shorewall stop

then connect to the internet, and ping and see if you get any responses.

Yes, It was set to normal during installation and I set it again just to make sure.

My etc/resolv.conf has this:

domain localdomain #kppp temp entry

nameserver 203.12.160.35

nameserver 203.12.160.36

# nameserver 203.12.160.35 #kppp temp entry

# nameserver 203.12.160.36 #kppp temp entry

# # domain localdomain #kppp temp entry #entry disabled by kppp

# ppp temp entry

nameserver 203.12.160.35 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 203.12.160.36 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 203.12.160.35 #kppp temp entry

nameserver 203.12.160.36 #kppp temp entry

I found this on another site:

for advanced users edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces and replace the line "net eth0 detect" with "net ppp+ detect" then service shorewall restart.

* this is necessary for all users connecting with a modem (analogic or DSL with pppoa or pppoe) or users connecting with another interface than eth0

How would I go about doing this?

Edited by mufc_au

How you do it? Well, open a terminal, log in as root (explained above) and type e.g.

kwrite /etc/shorewall/interfaces

and the file should pop up in an editor (you can use other editors, instead of kwrite like emacs, nano, gedit,... whichever you prefer). Then replace as told above. But in any case, make a backup of the file you are going to edit .