what is GNOME's problem

ever since FC3, it seems complicated to make things happen how you want with a double-click. For example, with mp3 files, I used to be able to double-click them and xmms would start to play the file. Since FC3 (and now with FC4), double-clicking an mp3 file DOES bring up xmms (after I first selected Open With...) but xmms won't play the file until I drag & drop the file onto it. When googling this, it seems alot of people are complaining about Gnome 2.8 and higher making file associations diffiicult.

Maybe I need to become a KDE-user instead of a Gnomie... :wall:

Unfortunately I left KDE unchecked during the installation of FC4, so will have to yum install it.

I'm not sure if FC4 "came" with xmms, or if I had to yum it.

I wouldn't mind trying out Rhythmbox, but I can't get it to play mp3s, at least not yet. I followed the supposedly correct way to get totem & rhythmbox to play mp3s (yum install gstreamer...something or other...) but both players still give me errors when trying to play mp3s.

EDIT:

Must be a FC problem, I never experienced what you describe on ubuntu.

yes it's probably FC's implementation of gnome, and not gnome in general. I think I read somewhere that FC (starting with 3) decided to leave file association editing capability out of gnome. There's some workarounds, but they seem needlessly complicated to me. When cybrjackle, the resident Fedora expert, gets back, I'll bug him about it... :D

Edited by null

yeah, first thing I did after install, was to hit fedorafaq for all the "fixing" to do. I followed their methods of fixing rhythmbox to play mp3s, but I still get errors. It was a yum install gstreamer-plugin or something like that. I actually copied & pasted their yum stmt, so I don't know what's wrong with that. Their other yum statements that I used, all worked great.