Installing Themes, WIndow Deco's, etc

Guest hbweb500

Guest hbweb500

Hello.

I have installed Mandriva LE2005, and I have to say that this is one of the easiest to use distro's I have seen.

I have caught a snag though. I am trying to install window decorations, themes, and KBFX. Whenever I run the usual ./configuration, make, su make install, everything goes well.

The problem is, none of the themes show up in theme manager or styles, none of the window decorations show up in the window decorations control page, and I have no clue where to find KBFX. I have tried right clicking the panel and adding an applet, but KBFX isnt there.

Also, I want to add the Mediacontrol applet to the kicker, but it isnt under the add->applets menu.

Thanks for helping a person new to linux and KDE.

Jeff

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Welcome aboard.

If you have been able to compile the source packages and install them (as root), then your new window decorations should appear in the kde-control center (kcontrol) in the "windowdecoration" and "style" menus.

I don't use KDE but from what I know, KBFX needs KDE 3.4 and Mandriva is currently using 3.3.2. KDE3.4 will be part of Mandriva 2006.

The mediapplet is probably part of a package you haven't installed. Open the Mandriva Control Center, Software, install software and search for KDE packages. (btw most themes and styles are available as rpms)

Your other problem: you need to run ./configure with prefix=/usr (the place where Mandriva installs KDE) so it would be ./configure --prefix=/usrt && make, login as root and make install.