Mandrake 9.1 Beta 3 out

Guest boonders

Guest boonders

i wouldn't install it on anything less than a system your willing to reinstall another Distro or previous Mandrake version on. It was very broken when i installed it, granted I did a "upgrade" just to test it out, but it was VERY bad. Lots of packages weren't installed, lots weren't removed, there were problems with the display in X, all kinds of crapola. Hope they turn out a better product some time. This was more like an alpha release

granted I did a "upgrade" just to test it out, but it was VERY bad. Lots of packages weren't installed, lots weren't removed
This is more of a problem of the upgrade feature. I had the same problem when I upgraded from mdk-8.2 to mdk-9.0. If u do an "upgrade" it leads to a mixed system (old and new packages) where several packages are not compatible with each other leading to the broke nature. So never upgrade, just do an install and make sure that /home is not formatted. That will be ur best option.

i wouldn't install it on anything less than a system your willing to reinstall another Distro or previous Mandrake version on.  It was very broken when i installed it, granted I did a "upgrade" just to test it out, but it was VERY bad.  Lots of packages weren't installed, lots weren't removed, there were problems with the display in X, all kinds of crapola.  Hope they turn out a better product some time.  This was more like an alpha release

The whole purpose of these is to pick up on these bugs and for you the user to report them. It's meant for testing not use, so if you gonna use it at least file a bugzilla report telling of your problem or join the cooker mailing list.

Guest boonders

Okay, I think you missed my point, these were not "bugs", they were gaping holes in the disitribution, a bug is "X freezes if your using Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400 when you run Xawtv", or such, not "X blows up in your face with 50 errors and nothing seems to run at all". This is supposed to be a BETA release, not an ALPHA release. I would expect some of the things, which were too numerous to remember from an ALPHA release, but not a BETA. This thing was pretty much junk. I'm sorry, its the truth. I liked Mandrake 9.0, and i've used betas in the past, WITH ERRORS, but not these HUGE problems, where it seems somes parts of Mandrake Control panel haven't even been fully developed yet. All I've ever used for a desktop computer is a mandrake distro. But, this, was BAD, I'm worried that the Final release is going to basically be a BETA by any NORMAL standard. I mean, it didn't even remove my old kernel & source! I mean the list goes on and on and on. I mean, This is like something they threw together at the last minute to just push it out the door. Its terrible. Clear lack of TQM.

Guest boonders

people, your still missing the point! Why have an "Upgrade" option if NOBODY is going to use it because EVERYBODY knows it is terrible. If M$ had these problems, they wouldn't be able to sell 90% of their commercial XP licenses. I'm saying, the standards need to be raised, in this aspect.

Okay, I think you missed my point, these were not "bugs", they were gaping holes in the disitribution, a bug is "X freezes if your using Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400 when you run Xawtv", or such, not "X blows up in your face with 50 errors and nothing seems to run at all".  This is supposed to be a BETA release, not an ALPHA release.  I would expect some of the things, which were too numerous to remember from an ALPHA release, but not a BETA.  This thing was pretty much junk.  I'm sorry, its the truth.  I liked Mandrake 9.0, and i've used betas in the past, WITH ERRORS, but not these HUGE problems, where it seems somes parts of Mandrake Control panel haven't even been fully developed yet.  All I've ever used for a desktop computer is a mandrake distro.  But, this, was BAD, I'm worried that the Final release is going to basically be a BETA by any NORMAL standard.  I mean, it didn't even remove my old kernel & source! I mean the list goes on and on and on.  I mean, This is like something they threw together at the last minute to just push it out the door.  Its terrible.  Clear lack of TQM.

bETA 3 Is about a week behind cooker, ( a long time) If you really want the latest fixes, set up a cooker source, and update every 2-3 days. 9.1 is on course to be the best yet .

Hmm, my install took exactly 10 seconds, because the ****ing MOUSE was not recognized (MS Intellimouse USB)...i have no problems with it in 8.2 or 9.0.

9.1 Best distro? I thought 9.0 was supposed to be the same thing a while back...

9.1 Best distro? I thought 9.0 was supposed to be the same thing a while back...

first off, it's not done yet, second off, the newest version will always be hailed as the best by someone, somewhere. that's how it is..... :)

Hmm, my install took exactly 10 seconds, because the ****ing MOUSE was not recognized (MS Intellimouse USB)...i have no problems with it in 8.2 or 9.0.

Must have been a bad d-load or install, I have the same mouse as you, no problem at all. did take half an hour to connect to the internet though.

KDE is finally out of RC status, looks great. Yea, there's a few problems, but there to be expected, its a beta.