Preview KDE 4

Hmm... the whole plasma concept is somehow interesting but I have some concerns with it:

1. It will not work on older machines as it will need considerable power (both processor and RAM). This will make KDE less attractive.

2. The whole concept is not yet organized enough but an irritating bunch of new apps thrown together.

3. It tries to resemble too much of Windows and Apple IMHO and

4. It is again "clicki-bunti". Too many different colors and too stressing colors.

5. Users will learn even less with Plasma than before as they are held by the hand all the time. I am only waiting for the famous windows-alerts to reappear. "Do you really want to delete this file? Really? Last chance! Do you really know what you are doing? ..."

Just my two cents.

Perhaps it's the way KDE should go to be user friendly. So average Joe will considering using linux. And for the advance users there's always the other DE to choose among. Just a thought :unsure:

I am no geek or programmer but after reading this excellent interview, I was very clearly able to understand what this fellow is aiming at. I do not think it has the slightest similarity to Windows (sorry Arctic, a rare occasion when I don't totally agree with you) use. I think he and others are truly considering the end user who does not use or want to be bothered (for all kinds of genuine reasons) to be forever using the CLI no matter how many geeks deem it to be a superior way of using a computer.

Its a bit like refusing to use anything but a manual gearbox car when an auto transmission can do most peoples requirements, notably get from A to B safely, economically, reliably and with least effort.

Sure, if you want to race then you use a manual gearbox but now days even that is holding less and less true.

The same goes regarding the majority of computer users (and not just the windows users). They just want to use their computers for their chosen tasks, and don't want to know what is "under the hood" except to know that it is safe, efficient, reliable, stable and easy to "drive".

Cheers. John.

Yay. I've had a 21' Mitsubishi Diamond View for nearly 3yrs now. Wouldn't be without it. :D :D

It is truly a good investment, even more so considering how prices have dropped since from the time I bought mine ( now approximately half). Fabulous for viewing vast expanses of larger thumbnails of images, making it ever so much easier to do comparisons and selections, etc,.

John.