Problem with Acer lcd monitor [solved]

serrano

I have a new Acer1714 LCD monitor which will display in XP and Suse10.1 but which gives the message of "Input not supported" in Mandriva 2005 and PCLinuxOS. I suspect the problem lies in some config files but I am leery of hammering those files because PCLinuxOS9.1 which is a Mandrake derivative is my workhorse. I would appreciate any advice because this is the best monitor I've owned.

Do you only have problems in GUI mode? Can you log in a terminal? If so run XFdrake (login as root and tpe: XFdrake) and adjust the monitor settings.

Other possibility: do you hava an amd64 mobo and use the nvidia driver? Log in a terminal as root, type: vi /etc/modprobe.preload and commend out the amd64-agp lines.

Last possibility: if you can't login at all. Boot from the rescue cd (install CD1) and type rescue.

It cannot be SuSE 10.1, since 10.0 beta2 was out just yesterday!

Anyway, if it works then you can try copying the (working) /etc/X11/xorg.conf from SuSE and using it on Mandriva and/or PCLOS.

By the way, is your problem inability to load X properly, or just the framebuffer mode when the system boots?

After tinkering with XFdrake and trying to get Xorg to recognize my equipment on PCLinuxOS9.1, I finally decided the safest thing I could do was to make a fresh install on another hard drive. I then transferred my files from the old PCLinuxOS install to the clean install. XFdrake on the clean install shows the proper configuration for my monitor. So now I have a beautiful new monitor which is working properly on my favorite workhorse PCLinuxOS9.1. The colors are fantastic.

Got a pm from serrano. Problem solved :)

Just a little postscript here. I went back after setting the other HD up with PCLinuxOS and began tinkering with the HD which would not work with the Acer monitor. What I discovered was when I pasted a new file in the old xorg.conf file something was not right so when I rebooted and logged into the system as root FXdrake it was going to ignore the xorg.conf file. FXdrake then treated everything like a new install and found the right parameters with everything going smooth as silk after that. The new xorg.conf file which FXdrake generated worked like a champ when I rebooted and there have been no problems since.

I suppose the lesson here is that with Mandrake distros and Mandrake derivatives it is easier to cripple the xorg.conf file so that FXdrake will treat a problem similar to mine like a new install and allow FXdrake to do the heavy lifting.