Installing inkscape

Jza

I havent been able to install inkscape it seems it ask me for some modules which are simply not there.

I get the response that I need perl-XML-XQL, however I happen to not been able to found them even if I have all my perl packages? Can anyone shed some light?

should I look into cooker unstable?

I dont think is necesary, please help.

perlxml is a dependency for many packages (no Mandriva running currently here, so I don't know the exact package name). At my Arch Linux box, there aren't many DIRECT dependencies for inkscape, though (doing a "pacman -Qi inkscape"):

Depends On : desktop-file-utils gc gtkmm gtkspell libart-lgpl libxslt perl

popt python x-server

If you have urpmi sources configured you should be able to just urpmi inkscape right in. That's all I had to do. I have Thac's inkscape-0.41-1.mdk10.1.thac.i586.rpm installed on my 10.1 box, but if you don't want to use a Thac rpm there's also a version in contrib by Jerome Soyer (saispo@mandrake.org).

The ONLY way to avoid "dependency hell" is to use urpmi. That is what it was designed for, to eliminate that hell.

Click on Eeasy-Urpmi shown at the very top of this page and follow the instructions from there. This will create groupings such as Main, Update, Contrib, PLF-free and PLF-nonfree, in MCCs Software handling section. When you then select your chosen package it will select the necessary dependencies as well.

If you ignore the tool then of course you will have problems.

John.

I said that I have a urpmi dependency hell? Guess not, but yeah is an urpmi dependency hell. I said, urpmi inkscape.... and I get.

Can't install because unsupported package perl(XML-XQL). So yeah, I really dunno what todo, since I have most if not all of my perl-XML already installed and the ones left are pretty unrelated (XMLTV).

So that is my issue, I know some sites list the requirements but I have spend several minutes triying those also and havent' came out with an answer. I would love to see a list of packages that are needed to be installed.

Everything you would want to know about urpmi and more: http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/UsingUrpmi (for a list of dependencies)

If you're sure you've all the repositories but still get errors you need to update. Open a console, login as root and type: urpmi.update -a New packages get added, bugs get resolved etcetc all the time. Keep up to date.

Tip: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=27059 You can do the same with urpmi.update -a. Just make a new cron job.

Actually since I am not on line I had to download the whole FTP tree to my harddrive so I got all the repositories of the FTP sites (contrib) and it asked me for some perl modules that are simply not available as packages.

That is my question how did people install it and which packages did it needed to install extra.

My error message is that it lacks perl:XML:XQL and I couldnt get it to work.