Free DSL?

Trio3b

NEW to DSL on Wxp box, but have noticed that am able to connect on MDK 10.0 box using the LAN connection to DSL modem with no names, passwords, etc.

I don't know enough about how DSL works other than that it "rides" on top of the analogue signal for phone service. If this signal is always on, AND I am able to connect thru the LAN to DSL modem in Linux, why am I paying for monthly service?

Thanks for any info

New from dialup........that's why the question. I thought DSL signal was pumped out "de facto' over the lines.

So you're saying if I go to a home where there is no DSL account, then there will be no digital signal present, regardless of passwords, accounts, etc.?

BTW I think you helped me get my internal PCI dialup modem working about 4 mos. ago

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

of course, you are paying for the internet bandwidth, the equipment and the port that has been allocated on your DSL subscription by your provider. there are DSL that requires authentication and the other is that what you have, you'd just given an IP ADD, Gateway and dns and when properly configure, done, you can surf the net.

try this one http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm for more DSL info

So you're saying if I go to a home where there  is no DSL account, then there will be no digital signal present, regardless of passwords, accounts, etc.?

If everyone had that signal coming in, then everyone would need the filters that DSL customers have to hook their phone lines in to keep the noise out from the frequency that the DSL line uses. So, if you're phone company doesn't have you placing filters between your phones and the wall jacks then no, you don't have the signal ;)

BTW I think you helped me get my internal PCI dialup modem working about 4 mos. ago
I did? Sweet! (my memory isn't so good ;) )