LE2005 - CUPS can't see/add any network printers

Guest Meanun

Guest Meanun

Hello all,

Apologies if this should have gone in networking or installation forums instead of this one. I am a complete Linux newbie so again apologies if important info is not included in post.

I have a home network that is predominantly WinXP based. There are 2 printers; an Epson Sylus Color 600 attached to the LPT1 port of a NetportExpressPro printer server @ 192.168.1.20 and a HP photosmart 7960 attached to a XP box (usually 192.168.1.4 but not fixed.)

I have installed LE2005 on a AMD Duron 1300 which connects to my network by a Belkin WirelessG PCI card using the Rt2500 drivers that come with LE 2005. The wireless network works fine. Smb4k can see both the printer server and the HP. I can ping the printer server without problems. I can even FTP to it but i get gibberish output.

Unfortunately when i try to set up CUPS neither printer is seen. In the Add a new printer window i get the warning: No local network connection active, remote printers can neither be detected or tested. I have tried Google and checking the CUPS user manual and Software Administrators Manual but cant find an answer. I suspect there may not be a linux driver for the HP. I have downloaded the software from INtel for the printer server but it is pre-CUPS and the instructions appear to be invalid - i.e. cant run lpc enable and lpc start as instructed.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Wilson

[moved to Networking by arctic - welcome aboard!]

Hi, welcome to the board.

There are drivers for the HP available but you may have to install them yourself. I haven't tested this procedure on Mandrake for a while, but it works on my current gentoo install.

Ensure you have gimp print installed, then copy the ppd for your printer (link above) to /usr/share/cups/model

Ensure the cups server is running (you can use the mcc services menu for this)

Point your browser to localhost:631

Add new printer, and when you get to choosing the connection select "Windows printer via samba" and then add the path to your printer in the format: smb://username:pass@workgroup/host/printer where printer is the name the device is shared as.

If any of this doesn't work please post back with errors or anything you don't understand.

Guest Meanun

Fantastic thanks now have both working. Wish I had tried the web interface 2 weeks ago instead of persisting with the MCC.

For the NetportExpress Printer server the command was exactly as per page 108 of the CUPS Software Administrators Manual. The USB printer worked following your directions.

Thanks agaiin.

Mark Wilson

• 3 months later...

I have the same issues, the problem is that I can't seem to mount to the windows server unless I use cifs command. I wonder how can I include this under printdrake. Any suggestion?