thank you all who helped me, but...

doody

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, I have lots more unfortunately. Everything seems so much more complicated using linux, it's too much for my tiny brain to cope with , I just wanna know..

1. Is Linux more secure for using the internet from hackers etc? Is it worth it?

2. Which media players can be used with Linux?

3. Is ADSL broadband less secure than dial up?

4. Can an ADSL modem also be used as a dial up modem?

5. Are most ADSL modems compatible with Linux, and can anyone recommend a

good ISP?

6. How does a firewall work with broadband?

7. Can I use Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 for basic stuff without having to type in

commands?

8. What are routers?

9. Is Linux for people like me who just want to use their PC every now and then

for normal stuff (i.e. surfing the net, word processing, watching DVDs) or do

you have to be a computer boffin?

I think I may be barred from this site after that!

doody :furious3:

I'll try a couple:

1. Definitely. Worth it? - try it and let us know. You've got to be willing to do a little tinkering and problem-solving. If you're easily frustrated and don't want to be bothered with this, then maybe not. Try it, though, you might be blown away by the experience and find that it's fun. Many do. Easiest way to try - download a LiveCD which you can boot without having to install on your harddrive. Get the feel without the fuss. See http://distrowatch.com/ and this thread for ideas -> real newbie friendly distro wanted

2. Many, many. Popular ones with lots of messages here: RealPlayer, kaffeine, mplayer, xine, xmms, amarok, KsCD, Totem, Timidity, etc etc. To get all types of multi-media players set up can take some tinkering and problem-solving.

6. A Barebones Guide to Firewalls

7. You won't be completely insulated from having to use the command line.

8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

9. Many people just like you have done this and love it.

I would like to answer your 3 4 5 ???

3. Is ADSL broadband less secure than dial up?

some ADSL device have this builtin security that can be manage by the user, dial-up modem dont have, but it will also depend on the user on how he will manage the host connected on it (ADSL or Dial-up)

4. Can an ADSL modem also be used as a dial up modem?

they are totally different in terms of how they connect to internet, dial-up modem needs to dial first a certain telephone number in order to establish a connection.. and dial-up modem usually connected to serial, USB, or PCI Slot, while the ADSL modem, it is usually connected to your ethernet port and it wont dial-up to established a connection, if authentication requires, you will set it up as PPP over Ethernet, you will need a Ethernet Card for ADSL Modem... and their speed is different, max of 56K for Dial-up, up to 512 or more for Adsl (ADSL usually less upload, more on download bandwithd)

5. Are most ADSL modems compatible with Linux, and can anyone recommend a

good ISP?

well, there are some ADSL modem that uses USB connection, have'nt tried though, but if it is thru ethernet, there is no reason that linux wont support it, as long as it will detect the ethernet card connected on that ADSL stuff :P

Hi,

Welcome to the board!

1. Most of the time it is, depends how good you are at configuring the security of various operating systems

2. There are lots

3. ADSL is much quicker, usually always on, and you can have a static IP address, this makes it marginally easier and potentially more attractive for a cracker to target a machine with an ADSL connection - BUT, the other benefits far outweigh these security considerations.

4. No.

5. Grab a modem which connects via ethernet, or better still a adsl modem/router combo.

6. Same as a firewall works with dial-up or other network connections, just remember to configure it for the correct interface.

7. Yes, most of the time.

8. It's a device for computer networks, the usual ADSL modem/routers have extra security benefits over plain ADSL modems - they also usually offer more ethernet ports so you can connect several machines to the net at the same time.

9. Why are you wanting to move away from your current OS? Some general common sense and the patience to read a lot goes a long way with Linux, but you don't need a massive IQ.