Splash screen I select isn't coming up

Guest Kenshinsama

Guest Kenshinsama

well I have a few questions actually but this is the first. I downloaded the Guitar angel splash screen for KDE and went and added in"Look n Feel" I wanted to see if it worked so I reset and I noticed KDEs default splash screen loaded. I made sure everything was set again and same thing happnened. am I doing something wrong?

Second thing is I downloaded the metal4kde Theme from the site and I double clicked on it. it says its installed but when I goto themes its not showing up. to tell you the truth I cant figure out how to install any of the themes Ive downloaded fro kde. so maybe I just need someone to point me in the right direction there and I can figure that out. please help this noob out^^ Im loving Mandriva and wanna start knowing exactly what it is Im doing. Im comfy with the envirement now but I still gotta lot to learn.

well, first of all, the best place to ask is kde-look.org, where the developer can review any problems you might encounter. my guess is that there is a problem with the splash script (maybe a typo or a missing space) or maybe you are using a "wrong" kde version. but you can fix it yourself. download a theme that works, then unpack it and take a look at the base code (nothing difficult or cryptic at all). then compare it with the one from the theme you can't get running. you will find the problem soon once you compare those maybe 12 lines. ;)

edit: with respect to the themes, once you have installed a theme for mandriva (rpm), it should appear in the kcontrol center. if there is no rpm for what you try to install, use the tar.gz files, unpack them and run in a terminal

./configure

make

and as root: make install

you might need to add a prefix

./configure --prefix=/usr

and you will need the kde and qt development libs in order to compile the themes from source.

Metal4kde: there is only the rpm for x86_64 (amd64) and mandrake 10.1. You can't even download the source. I think the theme is dead. (read the last few posts on kde-look.org)

Guitar angel splash: It installs fine and when I run 'test' it works. Haven't restarted KDE but I guess that would be no problem.

Installing themes is easy: Mandriva uses urpmi to install software. Most themes can be found at repoitories like contrib or mcnl (dfor mcnl see the tips and tricks forum).

Good luck.