browser [solved]

satelliteuser083

Have just installed LE 2005 onto another machine , tried to install Sessionsaver to firefox and was told that an update - to firefox- was necessary. Did as suggested and downloaded 'firefox-1.0.7.installer.tar.gz' from the mozilla site, then unpacked the file and then .... have no idea how to continue. There is an executable called firefox.installer, but don't know how to use it. Any tips, anyone??

First, as I and others have noted in other posts, there is no need to install the firefox tar.gz to get the most recent firefox. Update your 2005 system. Assuming you have firefox installed (it is 1.0.2) when you update you will have the most recent firefox. The Mandriva package will still be 1.0.2, but it is the newest firefox. All firefox updates since 1.0.2 have simply been security fixes. If you update via MCC and go to the help menu of firefox and choose about firefox you will see the Mandriva 1.0.2 and the firefox version 1.0.7. On my 2006 system it is Mandriva firefox 1.0.6 but firefox 1.0.7. Too many people here seem to be under the impression that 1.0.7 is an upgrade from 1.0.2 and they need the newest and best. It is not the changes are only security fixes. Firefox development is on 1.5 right now. So save yourself the time of messing with the tar.gz files.

When I attemped to upgrade from Software-Updates in MCC I was given the message:

I can't find any suitable mirror. ....architecture of your processor is not supported...

I can hardly believe that; this machine is a bog-standard PC, and I've had no problems in the past. Any pointers to what the trouble could be?

It then said that I could choose a mirror manually via the Software Media Manager, and add a "Security updates medium". No idea what that means :(. Nevertheless, tried with

http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2006/i586/ (provided by devries in my 'KOffice not in Mdk2006 distro' topic)

thinking that might do, but that was rejected by Software-Updates as well. Isn't looking very good.

See the Easy-Urpmi link at the top of this web page. For Updates, see Step 2:

2) Select a mirror for each source you want

Be sure to check the Source Updates box.

Likewise, configure your sources for all the others: main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

I've still got my 10.0 disks, I keep 10.0 on my laptop. And I also purchased 10.1 but dumped it due to the kded usb bug. I tried to load Mozilla from both of them. They both give a dependency error that libnss is not loaded (Network Security Service). So I check and in rpmdrake it is loaded (as Thunderbird requires it). And when I try to load the ones from either the 10.0 or 10.1 disk it says, file already installed. I used to keep files from my old distros (like old compat files from 7.0 so I can keep WordPerfect 8 working) I would just save my old Mozilla files off those cd's but it won't load. And if I remove the libnss file and try to reload it the system will remove thunderbird and Gnomemeeting also. I use Firefox for my browser and Thunderbird for email but I still like to have Mozilla around because it still has the best wysiwyg web page editor I've found. Quanta is fine for hard editing but Mozilla is tops for the (old) composer. Now I'll have to download one or maintain my web pages from my laptop.

See the Easy-Urpmi link at the top of this web page.  For Updates, see Step 2:

2) Select a mirror for each source you want

Be sure to check the Source Updates box.

Likewise, configure your sources for all the others: main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Thanks for the valuable tip. Yes, it worked and am now back on line with Firefox. Don't want to appear too optimistic, but I think I'm beginning to understand this Urpmi thing :cheesy: Until the next prob, that is.