Can't connect to Windows shares from Mandrake box

MandrakeNewbie

I have an old Compaq Server running Mandrake 10.2 Limited Edition 2005 that I have shared out some of the drive to a Windows 98 SE laptop and a Windows ME desktop on a P2P network.

From the Windows computers, I am able to connect and move files around without any problems on the Mandrake server(thanks to Dancer for providing a link). I have supplied the password for my username and connects just fine. When I try to connect from the Mandrake server to the Windows computers, I just can't seem to get it to work. I would describe what I've done but I've tried so many different things that I am no longer sure exactly. Is part of the problem that I have share-level security on the Windows computers? Or am I doing something else wrong?

The Mandrake box, that is running KDE 3.3, and I use Nautilus to try to find the Windows boxes.

Also, when I logoff of the Mandrake server, it takes me to the logon screen. I don't see anywhere to tell it to shutdown and have been just hitting the power switch. I see error messages showing mentioning that I improperly shut it down the last time. How do you shut it down properly?

Thanks Steve

You use Samba? https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=16737&hl=samba

Log off: Log off gets you out of the DE (desktop environment) and gives you a login manager (probably mdkkdm in your case). You can tell the login manager to shut down the server. Alternatively, you can just open a console and type: halt (or reboot for a reboot) :)