Gnome system requirements

Joni

Hi,

What are the system requirements for GNOME? I have Mandrake 10 and I would like to use it with GNOME, but my second PC is not very new. It has:

P2@360 Mhz

192 SDRAM

6.5 G HD

GeForce 4

I would use it to write documents, suft the net and ofcourse I would need to install firewall ( Firestarter ) on it.

Does GNOME run on my pc how well?

it should run on your box without major problems. you can test your box before going for gnome by download e.g. the beatrix live-cd. then you will see if your system is able to run gnome with an acceptable speed or if it will be too slow for your tastes.

I used to run gnome on a machine with 256mb ram and to be honest it was plain awful, the slowest loading program was nautilus, so if you do decide to go with gnome use a different file brower like rox. Still i think xfce would be the best to use on that computer.

In Gnome 1, Nautilus used to be a pain to run.

But things are much better since Gnome 2.

I have Mandriva2005 (used to have Mdk10.0) on a PII 350 with 192MB ram, and a 8GB hard disk. It can handle all this at the same time, though not very fast, I admit:

- my wife with a Gnome2 session running, with Gimp, Thunderbird, Firefox.

- me on the laptop, connected on the PC with SSH, with X11 forwarding of a IceWM session to the laptop; me running Thunderbird, Firefox, screen.

- all needed: ssh server (xinetd), IMAP server (BincIMAP with xinetd), POPfile server, Postfix server...

So my answer is definitely YES you can. You'd better use ROX rather than Nautilus, though.

Yves.

speed is relative.

gnome ran fine on my p2 300mhz.

or at least, better than windows ever did.

So while it might be slower than other lightweight desktops, or faster computers, depending on what you like, it may well be fast enough.

Best way to know? give it a shot, you aint got nothing to lose.

iphitus