nForce, nvmixer errors, no sound

rapidroller

Hey, I have an nForce built-in soundcard. I am on Mandriva LE 2005. My kernel is 2.6.11. I can't hear any sound, and KMix and NVmixer don't work. They both say "cannot open the mixer." I have installed the nForce driver from nvidia's site.

[root@localhost rapidroller]# lsmod | grep nv

nvsound 1537208 0

soundcore 7104 1 nvsound

nvidia-agp 5852 1

agpgart 28264 1 nvidia-agp

The user "vern" from #mandriva (the IRC channel) recommended creating a new clean thread with more correct information :cheeky:. Anyway, thanks for any help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm using the driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0301.html

Edited by rapidroller

Nope, the sound is the same exact way in root: nonexistant. Also, the mixers give the same errors and everything in root.

[root@localhost ~]# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]#

In noob terms (ie plain English), what should I try?

Basic: there are 2 sound architectures in Linux: OSS and Alsa. Use one or the other. The nvidia driver is an oss module so you cant use alsamixer. Like Lowe said it s better to use alsa since it s the default in Mandriva (since kernel 2.6xx). Go to the Mandriva Control center, hardware, hardware, click soundcard, config etcetc. (all this with every sound app closed, including kmix in the systray and choose the alsa module again. then go to MCC, system, services and check if alsa is running (start/stop it to make sure) Do not use alsaconf or soundconf but always the MCC to setup sound in Mandriva. Post the errors you will undoubtedly get

Can you post the relevant output of lspci -v for your soundchip?