Mandriva blew up... can't mount filesystems

Jza

I was using the laptop when I insert a usb memory stick my laptop was a mess after. I couldnt umount my other hd and my laptop display kept on even if I shut down the laptop :o

After rebooting I found that the filesystem are mounted read-only and the xfs is not recognized.

I would need some help with this one, the only odd thing I did was using the depmod usb-storage which I found hardly related wiht the module for mounting xfs filesystem.

Anywone can help me out since this seems indeed really strange. I had other kernels on the lap so I could boot frmo a different kernel but I am looknig for a way to FIX IT.

When booting I saw many errors including cpufreq (not showing anymore) hal failed and smb.

Currently using Mdk 10.2 LE

Edited by Jza

I had other kernels on the lap so I could boot frmo a different kernel but I am looknig for a way to FIX IT.

Have you actually tried to boot another kernel? Seems like that would be the first thing to do to ensure something else isn't wrong because if it's that particular kernel then it is that kernel and you have to use anothers any way. I doubt there's a fix for that sorta thing, other than using another kernel or applying a kernel patch to the bad kernel... or something.

yes I did, I said I booted with an older kernel and I could see my home but still got the main partition (root) as a read only partition.

Also X is not working but I guess I can worry about that later... some issues not accessing the glx.a

I doubt there's a fix for that sorta thing, other than using another kernel or applying a kernel patch to the bad kernel... or something.

you mean a kernel can break forever since automount a usb memory drive?

That doesnt make much sense.. at least I should be able to re-mount the damage modules or something similar.

yes I did, I said I booted with an older kernel and I could see my home but still got the main partition (root) as a read only partition.

I don't see that anywhere...you did not state that you had booted...only that you could.

you mean a kernel can break forever since automount a usb memory drive?

That doesnt make much sense.. at least I should be able to re-mount the damage modules or something similar.

kernels either work...or don't. IF this happened because of the kernel it could happen again and that means you need to use a different kernel or patch/compile this on again, IF there is a patch for a prob that you haven't found yet.

If the kernel is corrupt then you have bigger problems than a kernel a need to be concerned with your other data, if there is any to be concerned with. Booting the other kernels will help you do that and I haven't a clue why they'd be mounting in ro. I know nothing about xfs but if it is not related to a xfs feature then you need to repair the filesytem, NOT the kernel.

Hopefully, an xfs expert will come along a say differently.

the reason i was asking is: if it was a self-compiled kernel, it could have been caused by a mistake you made during the compilation process. but as it is an official kernel, i am a bit worried. it "should not" break. maybe you should contact the xfs mailing list.

Questions and Problems

If you have any questions or problems with the installation or administration of XFS for Linux, you can send email to linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com. Note that this address is a public mailing list; please search the list archive to see if your question has been answered previously.

To report any bugs you encounter in XFS for Linux, use the SGI Bugzilla database.

taken from: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/