Need help with Intel Extreme Graphics 2

coverup

As the topic says, I need help with configuring Intel Extreme Graphics 2. The card is detected, but the default settings produce scrambled picture. I then specified the card as Intel 810, 1280x1024 24bpp Plug-n-Play Flat Screen monitor, and 3D acceleration - that was the only combination that could be tested.

However startx produces the following errors:

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)  
                                                                     <- Hmm, checked ACPI in lilo
(WW) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 135962511)
             <-I guess, 3D acceleration does not work because of this error
(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
(II) I810(0):   CRT                           <- not an error but I have LCD flat panel, so why?
(II) I810(0): 16872 kBytes additional video memory is required to
       enable tiling mode for DRI.
            (I have 64MB videoram, but XFdrake could only see 16MB, now it complains....)
(WW) I810(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xf0000000,0x8000000)
     (This message shows on the console, is that something bad?)

So, what is going wrong here? I have no 3D....

Please help

Edit: here is my Xorg.conf. I only added Section DRI - XFDrake did not include it at all.

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
   Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
   Load "dri" # direct rendering
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "Generic"
   ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x1024"
   HorizSync 30-80
   VertRefresh 56-75

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
   # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1280x800
   ModeLine "1280x800"  147.89  1280 1376 1512 1744  800 801 804 848

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1680x1050
   ModeLine "1680x1050"  214.51  1680 1800 1984 2288  1050 1051 1054 1103

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1920x1200
   ModeLine "1920x1200" 230 1920 1936 2096 2528 1200 1201 1204 1250 +HSync +VSync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
   # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   BoardName "Intel 810"
   Driver "i810"
   VideoRam 16384
   Option "DPMS"

Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "dri"
 Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Edited by coverup

I have an Intel Extreme in my laptop which is an 82852/82855, and I had to use the Intel drivers, not the ones with Mandrake 10.1 OE to get OpenGL working.

What I did was:

1. Download and install the dri-I915......rpm from Intel's website using rpm -Uvh dri-I915......rpm (.... meaning rest of filename) - from the CLI (init 3) without X running.

There were dependencies, such as the kernel-source and a few others (i think "ed" is one - it'll mention them when you try the rpm install).

2. Adding the Section "DRI" (which you've done already).

3. Installing mesa and it's dependency libmesa.

After that, it worked a treat. Never been able to get it working with just the Mandrake drivers.

Downloaded it, rpm -i --force, got the error

ERROR: AGPGART did not compile,

ERROR: AGPGART did not compile, AGPGART turned off in kernel??

ERROR: kernel modules did not compile.

The dri drivers can not be installed without the latest kernel modules. 
The installation will be aborted. See the dri.log file for information on what went wrong.

Packe is installed but not configured.
You'll need to use rpm -e dri-I915......rpm to remove this package before re-installing.

I tried rpm -e dri-I915......rpm, but got the error; package is not installed. How can get around this?

I've had this once or twice too, what you need to do is try to install again, it'll tell you it's already installed, then rpm -e again to remove.

The info I found on Intel's website mentioned you had to use rpm -Uvh to install. To be honest, I don't know what the parameters mean exactly, I just followed it to get it installed.

Do you have intel-agp in your modprobe.preload?

got it installed with rpm -i --force (after the first unsuccessful attempt, I decided I would force it). It was a stupid thing, kernel sources had to be installed - I was pretty sure I ticked them during the initial install. When will finally Mandrake install sources alongside kernel?

3D now works but performance is pathetic, glxgears give about 500 fps

That's all I get on mine, I think my lappy card is 32MB video, so assume it's because of that as to why I get 500fps. My ATI Radeon with 128MB gives 1200fps (but that's with the Mandriva drivers).

I have 64MB video, so the memory does not seem to be the problem (unless of course they use only 16MB :D ). ATI X600 PCI Express 128 Mb gives more than 2000 fps (installed using the same CDs and Mandrake drivers).

It's really getting on my nerves.... FC4 looks very rough (screwy fonts, very few applications), but boy it installs without a hitch. About 3 years ago Mandrake used to have the best hardware support, and it's all gone....

About 3 years ago Mandrake used to have the best hardware support, and it's all gone....

Personally I was quite happy to see Mandy drop kudzu, because the new hardware detection is both better and faster... But for 10.1 the detector is still kudzu, directly derived from Redhat/Fedora! :P

Fedora Core 4 is (almost) bleeding edge, and 10.1 is an (almost) outdated release (some 10 months old).

How come Fedora having "very few applications"? For me if I add livna repos they are way, way more than I would ever need...

What are you trying to compare?

Edited by scarecrow

I have 64MB video, so the memory does not seem to be the problem (unless of course they use only 16MB  :D ). ATI X600 PCI Express 128 Mb gives more than 2000 fps (installed using the same CDs and Mandrake drivers).

It's really getting on my nerves.... FC4 looks very rough (screwy fonts, very few applications), but boy it installs without a hitch. About 3 years ago Mandrake used to have the best hardware support, and it's all gone....

I daren't install the ATI drivers for my system in case I fubar it! :P

I'm not sure on the Intel drivers memory wise. I've only ever managed to get 500fps, which is OK for me for normal desktop use and some of the games, Chromium, etc. I kind of figured it was just my laptop anyway.

I did try to install them on LE2005 a few months back, but wouldn't because it said lack of agpgart in kernel, even though I had the source installed. Bizarre! So I returned to 10.1 OE, and all is OK except 500fps, which for me, is OK. I don't play games much :P

Personally I was quite happy to see Mandy drop kudzu, because the new hardware detection is both better and faster... But for 10.1 the detector is still kudzu, directly derived from Redhat/Fedora!  :P

Fedora Core 4 is (almost) bleeding edge, and 10.1 is an (almost) outdated release (some 10 months old).

How come Fedora having "very few applications"? For me if I add livna repos they are way, way more than I would ever need...

What are you trying to compare?

We are not going to bash each other to death over FC4 vs MDK/MDV issue, right ? :D I didn't like FC4 selection of packages because it did not include some of my favourites, such as gv (ghostview), kpackage (which is normally a part of kde-admin but they stripped it off), and some other. The fonts did not look as smooth and solid as those shipped with MDK, and my eyes got tired very soon. Mandrake's look is superior in that regard, and has a lot better organized menu. IMHO, FC4's menu is not very user friendly. The distro is damn solid and very fast, but it's not my cup of tea.

On the other hand, MDK has been consistently failing in putting together a distro which would simply work out of box. The last MDK version that I remember not having headache with was MDK6.1. I did not try all of them. 8.2, 9.2, 10.1 which I used all had problems with either video, or sound, or shutdown, or CDROM, or SATA, you know the list... Note that I was always bying official boxes, so you can understand the frustration.

Mine's the same, 573 fps, and not been able to get it any higher. Mandrake 10.1 Official with it's drivers wouldn't allow OpenGL to work. I had to install the Intel ones, and this is all I seem to be able to get.

Using mesa, but I guess this is the only real way to use OpenGL anyway, I suppose would be nice to get it working faster, but as I don't play games, other than the Linux ones (Chromium, etc), it's acceptable.

I'll see if I can find some way to "tweak" it now.

Well I tried Mandriva Limited 2005. The 3D acceleration works out of the box, but the performance is no better than in 10.1. So I returned back to 10.1.

I also tried to start X with -depth 16bpp. The glxgears performance jumps up to nearly 900fps. Tuxracer is pretty smooth at this rate.