sshd [solved]

jaraeez

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help with this problem or if it is at all possible. I have a Mandriva LE 2005 PC behind a firewall (Smoothwall) at home (UK) Im in Australia at the mo' & need to ssh into my LE 2005. So far how im doing this is by ssh'ing into my firewall, then from there trying to ssh into the LE. My problem is that Im not sure ( :-( ) if I have started the sshd on the LE ... Is there a way to start it or check to see if I have indeed started it? Ive googled with no luck

TIA

from your firewall, try to nmap (if possible to issue that command) the MDV box of yours, if sshd is up, there should be port 22 after nmap scan. Or just do directly the $ssh user@ip-of-your-box from your firewall, if its up, it will prompt you a passwd, else, your sshd is not up.

Edited by aioshin

Cheers ppl for the replies. Yeah I thought it wasn't possible but not %100 sure. I RDP'ed into a WinXP I have on the Lan & from there ran NMap... & no sshd or webmin ports opened... so I guess I will have to get someone to start the daemon from home.... thanks again for the replies