Dual boot question [solved]

cenobite

HI !

Is there an easy way to change the bootloader to start windows automaticly (when the timeout runs out) instead of Linux with a dual boot; XP and Mandriva LE2005 ? Since I'm only trying things out..... ;-)

And also... a great partition suggestion on my system:

Got two SATA discs on 80GB each. They are configured with raid (two 80GB into one 160GB I think)

It's been a while since I set up this computer, so it's time to reinstall everything, but with Linux as an alternative.

Rest of my system: 1GB ram, P4 2,6Ghz CPU, GFFX5600(256).

I've also heard that making the swap partition on another physical drive is absolutely recommended ?

Best regards

Thanx!

HI !

Is there an easy way to change the bootloader to start windows automaticly (when the timeout runs out) instead of Linux with a dual boot; XP and Mandriva LE2005 ? Since I'm only trying things out.....  ;-)

For this part, you could edit /etc/lilo.conf, then run lilo as root, or edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, if grub is your bootloader. Change the default to the number of the entry you want. Note that grub starts counting at 0. Don't know about lilo.

Or just do that through the graphical LILO conf in MCC if you don't wish to go through text files (although it's faster)

[system->Configuration->Configure Your Computer -> Boot -> System Boot -> Next -> windows//modify->tick default.]