two swap partitions

solarian

Hello all!

After a bit of chaotic hd changes I ended up with two mounted Linux swap partitions.

One on hda, the other on hdb. My /root is on hda, hdb I now use for data storage only(except for the swap). Both swaps are 1.5gb.

So my question is, can I safely umount the swap partition on hdb without causing any hickups in the system?

Note: the oldest swap partition is that on hdb, the newest on hda

thanx!

Edited by solarian

well if they were set up correctly one has a higher priority than the other. Get the priorities out of fstab and set up just one the normal, standard, usual way. If the swap is not in use. You can umount both, edit fstab, and remount the one you want to use.

I didn't say you did, did I? Just thought you could learn from it is all. I installed a distro once (I think is was fc3) and specified the swap. It decided to make another swap and have 2, and it set them correctly with priorities. Either way you had to check fstab, and either way you had to edit it. Technically, if the one that was being used was the one you edited out of fstab and rebooted then you didn't do it right and should have used swapon and swapoff, which would have meant you would have needed to read the man page for swapon, but this is only if a swap was being used and I was just pointing that out is all ;)

Edited by bvc