MDK 10.1 is better?

Trio3b

OK,

Using 10.0 community for 6 mos. ....everything good. Did research on 10.1-decided to try it.

Maybe it's me but.. tried it on EXACT SAME PC... except this time dual boot with Wxp. Used LILO to practice custom partition on Wxp NTFS vol. I divided 20gb HD into 6gb NTFS for Wxp, 6gb FAT 32 for sharing and the rest for MDK 10.1 and install went well except for:

1. login was text based - well OK... so tried KDE as user and as root ..no luck

KDE would not start....problem in Xorg.conf could not figure problem (resolution depth not supported).............reinstalled - again OK this time KDE fired up

2.Konqueror won't start from GUI or terminal

3. Doesn't have gedit or pico. I don't know the other text editors.

4. Can't find Koffice in RPM packages

5. Openoffice1.1.3 takes way longer to load than 1.1

6. MDK 10.0 found my digital cam and USB disk no problem. 10.1 found neither. The fstab and mtab of 10.0 had supermount and desktop icons ready to go, but not 10.1.

This is just the stuff I found missing or not working in about 30 min of looking around. This is NOT a good start for 10.1

Am I missing something?

This is why I am trying to get away from MS. I don't want a """BETTER""" OS, I want one that works.

Any thoughts or help?

The 10.1 you used was most likely the Community Edition since I noticed you had used 10.0 Community Edition. The Community editions were released to enable broad bug fixing so you have no real room to be critical or complain.

You should use the OE or Official Edition and I think you will have success.

Better still, follow TYMES suggestion and use the Mandriva2005-LE then follow it up with the latest updates for it.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

1. login was text based - well OK... so tried KDE as user and as root ..no luck

KDE would not start....problem in Xorg.conf could not figure problem (resolution depth not supported).............reinstalled - again OK this time KDE fired up

2.Konqueror won't start from GUI or terminal

3. Doesn't have gedit or pico. I don't know the other text editors.

4. Can't find Koffice in RPM packages

5. Openoffice1.1.3 takes way longer to load than 1.1

6. MDK 10.0 found my digital cam and USB disk no problem. 10.1 found neither. The fstab and mtab of 10.0 had supermount and desktop icons ready to go, but not 10.1.

1./2./6. have you applied all patches to your distro, using easyurpmi and have you upgraded to the official edition? if not, no wonder you are experiencing some annyoing bugs. :)

3./4. they are available on the download mirrors or on your cds using the command urpmi gedit and urpmi koffice

5. have you changed the preferences in openoffice? if not,increase the default memory used for OOo (mine works with 128 mbram and 30 mbram per document and boots up in a hurry)

Point taken, and not here to bash MDK. I have transferred about 80% of all my PC usage to linux and will continue to move towards Mandriva and later, Slackware.

But, you must admit that there is a reasonable expectation that if the community edition had apps that worked in 10.0, then, a later version, installed on the exact same hardware would be expected to progress and not regress. I would say that Konqueror not opening is a major booboo. Yes it's possible that I did something in the install to mess up one or two things, but to have all that I listed not available or working is more than coincidence.

Well, I'll give it one more shot.

thanks

10.1 had a lot of issues that I noticed with USB devices. After I installed, konqueror would not open after I had connected my USB hard drive. The only way I could get at it was use Nautilus or use the CLI.

However, I added my urpmi mirrors, and applied all updates, and it worked perfectly fine after this.

There is a big difference between 10.0 and 10.1. 10.0 by default uses devfs wherease 10.1 uses udev. This is where I assume the problem was, because udev was updated when I applied the updates.

OOps......sorry, I am using 10.1 OFFICIAL. All the more reason these issues should be resolved. I confirmed today that Koffice and Mozilla ARE in 10.0 packages list but not 10.1.

I hope Mandriva is not pulling the old bait and switch.

Please explain how to apply updates. Can these be done on dialup? (no DSL here).

I notice 2005 LE is listed with 10.1 on dwnloads, but someone has referred to 10.2.

Please explain

Thanks

You could pull updates over a dialup link but it would take a long time to do it. You could always browse/search through the list to update udev, and anything usb related to see if that helps first, and do the rest another time. Just click System/Configuration/Packaging/Updates

10.2 is the same as LE2005, there's no difference. 10.2 is what they thought it might be called, and was called this during development, and when released, became 2005 Limited Edition. Some people refer to it as 10.2, others as LE2005.

The updates will be tough on dialup - we're talking about hundreds of MB here. You are likely to find the same problem with most linux distros. Linux development is moving so rapidly that there are frequent, substantial updates. One solution is to buy an update cd on line - edmunds has them for $1.50, shipping included for 10.1 and LE2005:

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/c...plst/category/2

That is strange, when I used 10.1 Official, it had Koffice and Mozilla.

Are you sure you checked your packages list properly when you installed because it was certainly in mine ???.

John.

Sorry coverup. That is not what was claimed .Those so called missing apps are on disc 4.

I think you must agree that since you have such a range of apps there isn´t much that can be said to be default especially if you are looking for them and all requires is to expand the packages tree to see it all. I have just this moment done a check and they are there.

On top of that if he had opened MCC and gone to software installs he would have found them there and could easily have installed any apps he wanted but missed during install.

Cheers. John.