lost my trash icon [solved]

kristi

lost my trash icon that, when I click on it, asks me if I want to empty it. The trash icon I have doesn't ask me that. This happened as a result of a reinstall of Mandriva, and me deleting the wrong one.

So I went looking for it and found some trash in

/home/kristi/.local/share/Trash

How do I create an icon on my user desktop that will ask me (when I click on it) if I want to empty the trash?

tia

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Hi LXTHUSDAN.

I checked desktop configuration and could not find a reference to the Wastebin (Trash Icon) anywhere, either to create it or to delete it. Where are you referring. I would like to know for future reference in case I too accidently delete the Trash Icon.

KRISTI, I have done some hunting but for the moment cannot find how to restore a wastebin but will keep looking during the next hour unless some one happens to come up with an answer in the meantime.

Cheers. John.

Try this... Create a directory on the Desktop called Trash. Then go to ~/Desktop/Trash/

and replace the file .directory with this

[Desktop Entry]
Icon=trashcan_full
EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
Name=Trash
Comment=Contains removed files

Restart kde. Right click on the Trash icon, there will be the option "Empty Trash bin".

another option: delete all your user config files in your de as root, then log in again. everything will be reset to the default values (and your stored mails will be gone unless you backup those :P ).

AssieJohn

I am wrong. It is not where I thought it should be. Thinking about it, I have not changed that for a couple of years. There used to be a page in the kde desktop that would change icons on the desktop, along with the device icons. Now there are only device icons in kde 3.4

Thanks for that lxthusdan, I thought I was going nuts. :D

I am using kde3.3 so it must be the same as 3.4 in that regard.

Coverup´s idea is to reproduce the original trash.directory, which I found earlier, it is located in

/usr/share/apps/kdesktop as in the snapshot below.

The icon label will read Trash if your language is eng-US.

If like myself you are using eng-GB then you add the line exactly as done below

to what cover up has shown.

Name[en_GB]=Wastebin

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

To the mods I am getting the following error message despite the snapshot is only 150kb.

How do I fix ???

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

well... go to "my controls" and manage your attachments. you might need to remove some images or text files you uploaded in the past that are still on this board. once you have removed some, you will be able to upload new stuff. :)

Thank you Arctic. Something new I have learned.

I was totally unawares that all the previous attachments were being saved. I have deleted the lot and now realise some perhaps needed to be kept for current threads. Is that the case ??? or is it Ok ???

Cheers. John.

another option: delete all your user config files in your de as root, then log in again. everything will be reset to the default values (and your stored mails will be gone unless you backup those :P ).

can you please explain this a little more, and I'll give it a shot. exactly which files? stored mails?

tia

Kristi

uh, nevermind, but..... :cheesy:

I went to /home/kristi/Desktop with my root konqueror and deleted everything.

I rebooted, but all I have on the desktop is kdetv and 2 kookas :help::cheesy:

and if I look at /home/kristi/Desktop with root konqueror, it is empty.

hmmmmmmmmmm.

check that - there is a .directory that contains

[Desktop Entry]
Icon=trashcan_full
EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty
Name=Trash
[IconPosition::Trash]
X=-30
Y=-160

Don't see any problem with this (I assume you use KDE). Anyway, if nothing else works, instead of deleting all your files or do a full reinstall, you can simply add another user. Then login as that user and either copy all your files to the new account, or copy the new ~/Desktop dir to your old account. You might also need to check ~/.kde for possible config files for the Trash. This should work for KDE, not sure about Gnome.

In mine I have an extra line:

Type=Directory

the rest is the same as coverup mentions except I don't have IconPosition details. I have a folder on the desktop called "Wastebin", and the .directory contents is:

Type=Directory

Icon=trashcan_full

EmptyIcon=trashcan_empty

Name=Trash

Name[en_GB]=Wastebin

There were a load of other foreign language naming conventions, of which I removed, but left the English stuff.....