installing lexmark p 707

Guest johnboy1967

Guest johnboy1967

i have downloaded and installed the 700 rpm and the 700 cups rpm the install went ok at the start.when setting up printer in mcc it auto detects it as a lexmark z700-p700 series but when it looks for the actual printer model no z700 or p700 are listed it tries to use a lexmark 3000 as the nearest model.i tried it and it doesnt print.anybody any ideas how to get the p700 to work.i am a newbie so still trying to suss out linux.the site i got the downloads from said that after install i should be able to select the p700 from the list of cups supported printers,is this the same list as the model numbers in mcc :help:

Guest johnboy1967

i have tried the web configurator but it asks for a user name and password and my login or root username and password dont work.thanks for the suggestion.if i can get the printer and webcam installed then no more windows errors and crashes.

Have you checked in Remove Software to see if the rpm did actually install correctly? If it did, it should be listed in here.

Also check, that you have cups-common installed as well along with cups and cups-drivers and libcups.

What version of Mandrake/Mandriva are you running?

Try Dragonmage's suggestion. If you can't get into the Cups configuration you may have other problems. The user name it wants is root and then root's password. The software you got from Lexmark were those Mandriva rpms for 2005 and the cups 700, what is that?

I looked at the Lexmark site, but could not find the 700 rpm and 700 cups files, so I'm not sure what they are or where you got them. More specifics on these would be of help.

Edited by polemicz

Try this link:

http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/info/li...ownload_v2.html

might work better, as they are direct from Lexmark, they seem to provide some sort of solution for Linux, but not in the normal driver sense, which is why it can't be found under their Drivers section. There are PDF's here too, might be worth checking out to see how to set this all up. There's an rpm too to download and install, suggest you remove the one you downloaded and installed earlier first. The printer says Z705, but the rpm says Z700.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest johnboy1967

tried the drivers from lexmark link.same version as the ones i had anyway tried them but still no luck with cups. :wall: before i started trying linux i was going to change dump the lexmark and get an epson all in one.might change quicker now as apart from the printer and webcam i find linux to be a more stable os and i find that surfing the web is also faster.

I know that all in one printers, scanners are the rage, but I am very skeptical of them. The real cost in printers is not the printer, but the cartridges. You may not save much in the end getting an all in one and you can probably get better quality going separately. Check various posts here and elsewhere on them also as a numbe of folks have had trouble getting them set up.