Scanner Won't Stick

rogerh

Newbie working to get my scanner installed (Epson CX6600). The Control Center (Mandrake 10.0) will automatically detect the scanner (Epson USB2.0 MFP LIBUSB 001:002), and then will let me install it selected as a CX3200, and says that I can now scan!! BUT - when I click 'ok' on the control center panel and the Control Center rescans, there is no scanner installed and it asks me if I want to install the Epson it just found?? I seem to be in a loop - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I am on the verge, but obviously something is not quite right....

Thanks -- Roger

Not sure if you have an MCC problem or whether the scanner is picked up. Did you check in /etc/sane.d/epson.conf to see if the scanner is set (the line usb should be uncommented, all others commented). I don't recall how 10.0 handles usb stuff. I have an Epson scanner on my 2005 (and have since 9.0 and have gotten it to work), mine is a Perfection 1660 Photo on regular usb, not usb 2. Have you tried to scan from xsane? You can also run scanimage -L from cli. Also I'm assuming you have installed all the xsane software.

Hi,

Both the SCSI Epson and USB lines are uncommented, so I will proceed to comment the SCSI line. XSane is installed, and only initializes because it can't find a device (provides screen message)..... It seems like since the scanner config won't stick in the control center for even a moment, something else is going on.

Thanks -- Roger

Scanimage shows no scanner attached, both as a user and root. Since the Epson CX3200 is a valid scanner choice on the Control Center menu, I am assuming that is it valid and supported. I also saw that the CX6600 is one of the few Mandrake 10.0 "certified" scanners, which is why I made this choice, so this is particularly confusing. Too bad the certification test config is not listed - I am assuming that they used the CX3200 or CX5200 drivers listed in the Control Center menu (neither stick). Any other suggestions??

Regards -- Roger

All seems odd. Your scanner is supported as I checked the Sane site. As scanimage -L comes up with nothing I will assume also that the command sane-find-scanner also comes up with nothing (try as user or root). I wonder if your scanner is functioning properly. If you are dual booting does it come up ok with Windows? I wonder if there is some usb thing going on here. Check all your connections. Also just to be sure make sure you have made all the updates to your system (security, bugfixes, etc), lots of times the drak tools have been buggy on rlease and I just can't remember what 10.0 was like. Also 10.0 is pretty old and you may need a newer Sane package of backends if your scanner is a new model. Oops, as MCC shows your scanner the backend must be there.

Edited by polemicz

On the official Mandrake (or is it Mandrive) site, under officially "certified" scanner hardware for Mandrake 10.0 the CX6600 is listed. Given that the certifiers listed the CX6400 driver used in certifying the CX6600 printer, I assume that they also used the CX6400 driver for the scanner cert (although they don't provide the test configuration). This driver is listed in the Sane db (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html).

I am proceeding to download the current backend drivers, and hopefully that will work. Never had to do this before (compile and install), so hopefully it will not be too complex.

Regards -- Roger