Getting Thunderbird and Firefox To Play Nice

Guest jglen490

Guest jglen490

Mandrake 10.1 with KDE 3.2.3

Thunderbird 1.0

Firefox 1.0.4

I've searched and tried the solutions. I've made the requisite changes in File Associations for .html but I still can't get Firefox to display a URL that I clicked on in T-Bird. Nothing against Konqueror, I just want Firefox to be my default Web browser for all actions.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jglen490

Thanks for all the input guys!! However, none of these seem to apply. I'm using KDE, as noted in my original post, so the Gnome utilities are out. I think it has something to do with a user.js or prefs.js file somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find an appropriate entry or reference.

That's a problem people were talking about on another board I frequent, PCLinuxOnline, and someone wrote a shell script to fix the problem. I just e-mailed the person few minutes ago to e-mail it to me so either I can e-mail it to you or you can follow this link and e-mail helios for it.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?m...a8c802b58c847ed

hopefully this helps

1- Open Thunderbird links in Firefox:

Open the console, log as root:

vi /usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/pref/all-thunderbird.js

Add this lines at the end of the file:

// Open Thunderbird links in Firefox

pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox");

pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox");

pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox");

2 - Open Thunderbird after clicking in a 'mailto:' link in Firefox

Open the console, log as root:

vi /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/firefox.js

Add this lines at the end of the file:

// Open 'mailto:' links in Thunderbird

pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird");

Atention: replace the paths for the location of FF/TB in your system

doutor.zero

Thanks for all the input guys!!  However, none of these seem to apply.  I'm using KDE, as noted in my original post, so the Gnome utilities are out.  I think it has something to do with a user.js or prefs.js file somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find an appropriate entry or reference.

Even though you are using KDE, it still applies to set using gnome-default-applications-properties. I use KDE also, and solved by setting the html to open with Firefox, and setting with gnome-default-applications-properties.

Guest jglen490
Even though you are using KDE, it still applies to set using gnome-default-applications-properties.  I use KDE also, and solved by setting the html to open with Firefox, and setting with gnome-default-applications-properties.

That sounds good, I think I've seen that solution somewhere else. The only reason I haven't tried it is because I did not install any of the Gnome apps or utilities. I did a "find" for anything beginning with "gnome-*" and nothing was returned, so I'm sure that I am in a Gnome-free zone :D .

I will try to make the entries in the "all-thunderbird.js" file, but I think I've found another solution, and it seems to be working. I found that my original installation of MDK 10.1 sets an environment variable that indirectly references Konqueror. Thunderbird must be basing its browser decision on the value of $BROWSER. I haven't yet found what sets this env var, but I seem to have found a way to re-set it to Firefox. I made the following entry in my ~/.bashrc file:

export BROWSER="/home/john/firefox1.0.4/firefox

This may require some tweaking, but for now it seems to work. Any comments?

You can always just install the gnome-control-center, which will give you the apps for configuring. Then you can use it for configuring all the gtk stuff that relies on gnome settings, rather than KDE settings.