audio problems [solved]

tl017

Hi all,

Im running Mdk 10.1 and I can listen music from my tv-card/radio chip and play audiofiles from HDD, but I dont have audio for system messages (like KDE startup sound). Furthermore no audiorecording is possible, and videorecording only without audio.

I activated the soundsystem, and when I go to "System - Settings - KDE - Look and Feel - Soundsystem" and press the botton "test sound system" I hear the default KDE startup wav-file. But after a reboot it started again without sound.

I completely reinstalled Mdk 10.1, with formatting partitions root and user and removing all hidden files and directories in my home folder before doing so. But it does´nt help, also normally after an Install KDE starts with sound by default (at least this is my experience from 2 previous installs some month ago).

When I try to link events with some sound via menue "System - Settings - KDE - Look and Feel - system messages", check the box "play sound" and press the botton for playing the choosen wav-file, nothing happens. It is not that the progress bar moves and I "only" can´t hear it, but nothing is happen at all. The system does´nt even try to play the file.

What can I do? I´m in the full dark with absolutely no idea how to help myself. :wall::wall::wall:

At first, thank you for the quick response!

I did as you advised me but it still does´nt work. I hit in the console "artsd" (as root) to start it (maybe the wrong way?) and got the following output:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe

In ksysv "artsd" is not available as systemservice, but it is installed.

Thomas.

Have you tried running alsaconf? su and supply root password, then type alsaconf, and see if that helps. Sound may be muted afterwards, but check and set these where necessary and report back.

Do you only get sound when you hit the test button, but no sound with events or anything else? Have you tried a game? Try Frozen Bubble, do you get sound with this, and the test button too?

Hallo lanw1974,

it was just as you assumed: "Do you only get sound when you hit the test button, but no sound with events or anything else?"

But thanks to your advice to run alsaconf now it works as it should: system messages, audiorecording and all the nice stuff.

Thank you again,

tl017

ergo: Problem soved!

:banana:

Edited by tl017