Sound not working [Solved]

joethesupercow

Hi, I'm new to linux and these boards and this seemed to be the best place to post this so here goes!

I've just recently started running mandrake (mandriva) 10.1 and seem to be having trouble getting any kind of sound out of both my onboard sound and my creative labs audigy 2 ZS sound card. I've set every volume in KMix to max and have looked for aumix but seem to be unable to find it, any help would be most appreciated!

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Edited by joethesupercow

Do you know if the sound was configured during setup? Sometimes if the card isn't supported by the current running kernel, and alsa version, it won't configure on setup.

What you can try is this.

1. From the CLI, type "su" and enter the root password.

2. Type "alsaconf" and then run through the settings for your card.

3. Reboot, volumes will be muted at first, set these.

4. Go into Configure My Desktop and in the sound settings there is a test button. Click it and see if you now have sound?

Report back if still getting problems.

OK, the other thing you can check is this. From the CLI, su and supply root password.

Type updatedb and then when this has finished, slocate rpmnew. There may be some listed.

These most likely need to replace the corresponding file. I've had to do this when I had partial sound. For example:

kdmrc.conf I replaced with kdmrc.conf.rpmnew

kdeglobals.conf I replaced with kdeglobals.conf.rpmnew (might have been this one that solved it)

there were some others too, but don't replace group.conf if you find an rpmnew for this. After I had done this, the sound worked no probs.

If you're unsure, please post what files you have listed as rpmnew, and then we can advise you further.

hmm, so it looks like i just can't play directly from the cd player, if i rip the tracks first they play find and thats good 'nuff for me! thanks for all the help!

have you checked your cables? maybe the cd-sound ability ain't connected to the soundcard/mobo.

oh... and did you unmute the cd-entry in kmix?

One thing I thought as Arctic just mentioned, for sound from the CD-ROM, you need a cable from the CD-ROM drive to the soundcard. This is usually plugged near to the power cable for the CD-ROM drive, and is a small 3 pin connector, with a similar one either on-board, or on the PCI sound card itself depending on which card you're using.