PS3 add-on hdd to run Linux

Jet2k5

Well I'm decided to write something on it, you can find it here. http://myhalo.org/?p=35

It's still very un complete , and the main points very unclear as I suck at writing these kinds of things.

Post your comments here tho

Great article but I must disagree on the number of users that will buy the HDD.

On the PS2 Linux was also available on so was the HDD option but they withdrew it from the latest build, the slimline version. Why ? Because sales weren't how they expected to be.

What you'll need to get Linux out there is a reason for people to buy the HDD, like games who benefit from it.

For example, bring BF2 to the PS3, make the online downloadble mods available through the HDD addon and people will buy it.

It is true. But this time I'm sure that they are working better. One it's default on the system. And it's going to run something very noob like linspire or something.

But I'm sure this time they have put more developers on it, and created a more interactive action. I'm not sure if they are going be having a full desktop, it didn't go into that very much. But I'm sure that they are going to be running a Linux kernel, regardless of what front GUI they choose for it. They really didn't mention anything about a full desktop, just a main computer that can do basic stuff like playing movies , cd etc etc

Another thing is that they didn't have IBM also developing PS2 Linux back in the day. Now it's IBM who let me just say is a HUGE supported of Linux. Probably one of the biggest next to HP. So IBM + Sony is a good deal. I'm sure developers are working on the whole deal. Even if they don't go with Linux, KK said that it might be the start of a new OS. Maybe light-weight OS for PS3 alone.

Edited by Jet2k5

On the PS2 Linux was also available on so was the HDD option but they withdrew it from the latest build, the slimline version.

actually, it wasn't the hard drive that they withdrew directly. they took out the whole expansion bay, which allowed for both the hard drive and the network adapter. that, and the hard drive was only really needed to play Final Fantasy XI. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more reason to have a hard drive this time around.

Edited by tyme

Correct, they removed the expansion bay but this was also due to the NIC being build directly on the motherboard.

So NIC on mobo + no sales of the HDD pack = withdrawl of the expansion bay.

Another thing, I don't think they can be to serious about having a full OS on there, wouldn't that be pure provocation for illegal gaming.

I mean, when there is a HDD and an OS as open as Linux there would be nothing to stop hackers for braking the security of the PS3 games.

Dunno, just an idea...

The reason that PS3 is not going to be using memory cards is because it's going to be using servers. So when you sign up online with them you can store info on their servers. This however was not made clear, this is from word of mouth from the geeks at school. Coiuld be right could be wrong, but broadband is getting cheaper here the U.S. More and more people use it, specially teenagers.