Keyboard problem with kdm

Ixthusdan

I usually use gdm for login, but decided to try kdm sense I had not used it for a while. After booting into the gui, however, I could not login because the keyboard locked up. The capslock light stays on and no keys will enter onto the screen. After rebooting the x server, and then rebooting the system, O finally had to boot failsafe (first time I have ever had to use it), logged in from cl, changed back to gdm, and rebooted. Now I'm fine. Oh, forgot to add that the keyboard works fine in Kubuntu and windows, so it is not a hardware issue. Anybody ever have this happen?

Changes in my system: I installed kde 3.4 a couple of days ago, so it could be kde.

I had a couple of issues with this once. First I needed to check for kdmrc.conf and kdmrc.conf.rpmnew, check and compare, to resolve the logging in prob.

I also remember having to urpme mdkkdm and then reinstalling it too, plus all the dependencies that it removed earlier. This all related to KDE 3.4 as AussieJohn mentions above. It worked afterwards, albeit that if I chose shutdown or reboot within KDE, it wouldn't do it. It would return to the mdkkdm screen, and I then had to click halt or reboot for it to do it successfully.

I could however within KDE from a CLI type reboot or halt and it would be fine.

OK, it is kde 3.4 having fits. I have discovered some other keying abnormalities with it as well. Still, a decent enough desktop for gui folk like me.

I had a couple of issues with this once.  First I needed to check for kdmrc.conf and kdmrc.conf.rpmnew, check and compare, to resolve the logging in prob.

I also remember having to urpme mdkkdm and then reinstalling it too, plus all the dependencies that it removed earlier.  This all related to KDE 3.4 as AussieJohn mentions above.  It worked afterwards, albeit that if I chose shutdown or reboot within KDE, it wouldn't do it.  It would return to the mdkkdm screen, and I then had to click halt or reboot for it to do it successfully.

I could however within KDE from a CLI type reboot or halt and it would be fine.

jesus! do i need to make a diploma prior to being allowed to do that? :lol:

way easier to stick to gdm. after all,... it is only a login manager. ;)