playing - other distros

kristi

hmm... mebbe you are right... but aren't some packages only available via apt-rpm? ( i think that i read something like that on the fedoraforums. :unsure:) or can absolutely all packages be installed with yum?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All packages can be installed with yum. It's much much faster now too.

another cool feature is "yum shell". And another package in extras, "yum-utils"

# rpm -ql yum-utils

/usr/bin/package-cleanup

/usr/bin/repo-rss

/usr/bin/repoclosure

/usr/bin/repomanage

/usr/bin/repoquery

/usr/bin/yum-builddep

/usr/bin/yumdownloader

/usr/share/doc/yum-utils-0.2

/usr/share/doc/yum-utils-0.2/README

FC4 is a great distro, but it's not without it's problems. Java doesn't work the usual way, i usually install it in /usr/java so it works well with azureus but for some reason azureus dies at the splash screen. There is also a huge lack of flac support in the repositorys which is a suprise to me since flac is open source. So although i like FC4 little things like that annoy me, so it's back to debian for me. I still say all distros suck, it's just some suck less than others. :P

FC4 is a great distro, but it's not without it's problems. Java doesn't work the usual way, i usually install it  in /usr/java so it works well with azureus but for some reason azureus dies at the splash screen. There is also a huge lack of flac support in the repositorys which is a suprise to me since flac is open source. So although i like FC4 little things like that annoy me, so it's back to debian for me. I still say all distros suck, it's just some suck less than others.  :P

...build your own distro :P

:cheeky:

The problem your having with Java is because Fedora is the first to include gcj it's own native java compiler instead of using sun's java. Of course for now there are going to be problems getting compatibility and patches for programs that were written with Sun in mind. One of the Fedora Devel's (andrew greeen i think) is working on patches for azaurus.

You can still use jpackage and grab there nosrc rpm for sun and grab sun's bin file and build that and install it. Doing it this way allows you to have both installed.

And in case you're unfamiliar with JPackage, that's easy to do; a quick

paraphrase of http://jpackage.org/rebuilding.php:

1. Download and install the nosrc rpm http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2546

2. Put the Sun package in your rpmbuild/SOURCES

3. rpmbuild -ba rpmbuild/SPECS/java....spec

4. enjoy your RPMs in rpmbuild/RPMS/