Mandriva 2005LE config headache

Darth Wong

Hello, I'm terribly sorry if this is a stupid question but I've been banging my head on this for a while and I can't figure it out. Why won't kdm display the list of users at the login screen? My wife and kids are accustomed to that list of users and ever since I installed 2005LE, it's gone.

I tried going into the "Login Manager" section of the KDE config program and sure enough, the settings all look as if it should show the user list; it just doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

Are you using KDE 3.4? There are many problems with kdm in KDE 3.4.

I'm using KDE 3.3.2, which came standard with Mandriva 2005LE. That's the nuttiest thing; with a completely stock install off the DVD, the user list doesn't show up in kdm. It always did in previous versions with a default install.

EDIT - this is wrong. see 2 posts down

I know, I was frustrated with that, too, but I believe it is gone with that and following levels of KDE. In fact, if you want a root session (not just a root console or running something as root) you will have to log into it there. In 3.4 there's no more "start a new (root) session"! Actually I find I don't need it - the bad exception being turboprint which has to be running in a root session before it will tell you the remaining ink level on your printer. I believe that's where HP shines - great Linux driver support. Canon has none! :angry:

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Try this:

A.) Standard security level is fine for normal users. Read what mdk says about it in the MCC

B.) Go to: System, Configuration, GDM-Configurator, Graphical Greeter. Choose "Happy Gnome with Browser".

That should take care of it!

About printers, I agree with Kristi that HP shines, and in Mdk it shines even more! Lets thank folks like Till Kampeter every time we use a HP-Printer/Scanner/Copier for their fantastic work integrating them into mdk! Its absolutely no comparison to the appalling rubbish I've bought before, rubbish that cost more to buy and operate and always caused unnecessary aggravation.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

to get to a root session in Mandriva club 2005KDE 3.4

Press ctr-alt-F2, log in as root and type:

startx -- :1

hit enter.

you will pop into a root session.

This is something that Devries told me a while back that I thought I had tried on this release, and I thought didn't work. :woops:

But I just checked it and it does.

ctrl-alt-F7 will give you the user.

ctrl-alt-F8 will give you the root session (assuming you only have one user logged in).

When you log out of root, give it a minute, then it will give you a command line prompt.

At that point, do ctrl-alt-F7 to get the user session.

First thing you must do is get rid of that useless (to me it is useless and extremely inconvenient because it makes most of the settings you make in Login Manager, completely useless and pointless) KDM login theme. Whoever decided it should be a default for Mandriva must have been on too much of the happy weed. The most disgraceful part is the routine you have to go through to get rid of it. Not particularly helpful for newbies.

When you get rid of it you should have the normal KDM and if you make the correct settings in Login Manager you should see ALL the accounts and root shown.

See snapshot below.

Set the buttons as shown and put a tick in each account you want to have appear at login. Do not forget to click on apply.

Cheers. John.

Hello KRISTI.

Open a Konsole and do .....kdesu konqueror ......then your password then go to

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc. Open kdmrc with kwrite and change the line which reads .....UseTheme=true

to read UseTheme=false and save the change.

This should have the original KDM start on next login.

Cheers. John.

Hey, John, in menu, switch user, I still only get the one user - even when I added a second temp user. What did I do wrong?

Kristi (/me is really getting to like that mod of yours!!!!!)

EDIT, I checked in admin mode in Login Manager, users tab, but no joy.

EDIT2 is there a special Login Mgr for KDM? Where is it? tia!!!

Edited by kristi