Konqueror popup when connecting camera

neddie

Hi Arctic. I am sorry to say that did nothing. I tried combinations of that and variations but no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Anyone else have ideas ????.

Cheers.                                John.

what a pity... i had hoped that it was an identical bug but things seem to be different here. but i am almost sure that this is a bug, caused by a certain package you installed. i will search more information though....

John,

Stumbled across this mention of hal not working properly with LE2005:

initrd

Warning : If you have initrd's created before 10.2 they must be regenerated (using mkinitrd) to have large enough room, otherwise /sys might get full and prevent hal to work properly (not detecting the entire hardware installed on the system).

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...aseNotes#initrd

Also mentions that "(df /dev should never returns 100% space used)". Maybe that means more to you than it does to me?

Thanks Neddie but I had been through that stuff when I googled HALD. None of it seems to apply since this was a clean install of Mandriva 2005 and not an upgrade. Thanks for your efforts though. Great minds think alike. :D :D

I have just done a clean install of Mandriva 2005 onto another set of partitions so I can experiment a little. I have installed ALL of its updates and fixes as well. When I go to Menu--->System---->Configuration------>Hardware there is no Removable Storage.

I am pretty sure I have installed all the same packages as in my main Mandriva but I have to go through it in detail.

All very mysterious huh ??.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers. John.

Just a follow up.

Over these past days I have gradually added a couple of packages at a time to find out which one might be the missing necessary one.

Last night I finally fixed it and it now works a treat

The only remaining problem is that I cannot remember what the last packages were that finally did the trick. I was distracted after doing these package installs and came back a long time later and did various other things and then decided to check. Sure enough it was now working AOK.

I have another play around set of Mandriva2005 and the application is not working in it or even giving an error message. It does not even show up in the menu.

I may try to work out the missing packages but if anyone knows what these should be then it would save a lot of time and effort.

I really do need a definable answer in case I have to do a Mandriva reinstall otherwise I have do to do the grind all over again.

Perhaps that champion Adam W. knows ???

Cheers. John.

[..]

When I go to Menu--->System---->Configuration------>Hardware        there is no Removable Storage.

[..]

John,

I just now finally got an email notification that there were other replies in this thread (notification has been buggy for me), so I did not see your questions until now.

[rolf@localhost ~]$ which gnome-control-center
/usr/bin/gnome-control-center
[rolf@localhost ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/gnome-control-center
gnome-control-center-2.8.2-6mdk

What I think is that you need to have gnome-control-center installed, the alternate method I mentioned in my other post. On my machine, calling that program gives me the same window obtained from the menu path to 'Removable Storage'

Thanks Rolf but that info turned out to be not quite correct but it did point me in a direction I had not looked at earlier.

I kept thinking it was either a Mandriva or a KDE apps but it wasn´t.

You were correct it was a Gnome apps but it has nothing to do with gnome-control-centre. In fact gnome-control-centre does not even need to be installed if you only use KDE.

The application is called Gnome-Volume-Manager, a totally misnamed and therefore misleading name if ever there was one. That is why it was so hard to find. Of course if you had mainly installed Gnome rather than KDE then it is likely it was installed as a normal gnome choice so of course it would all work as normal.

Actually the window which is opened when you go -->Menu -->System -->Configuration -->Hardware -->Removable Storage , is called Drives and Media.

Once you install the application the next step you MUST do is go into MCC ---->System ---->Enable or Disable System Services. You must put a tick (USA=check) in both haldaemon and also messagebus and then click start on both of them. Although in theory it should not be necessary to reboot, I think it helps to quickly check that on a future reboot that all is as you set it up to be.

Maybe the mod looking after Tips and Tricks might like to add this above info for other users because it is a very useful application, in my opinion.

It certainly will be a standard install for me in future now that I have found it.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn