What should I be downloading? [solved]

Guest Phixion

Guest Phixion

Hey there, I am wanting to download Mandrake/Mandriva but I'm unsure on which DVD Image I should be downloading.

10.1 or 10.2 Limited Edition.

Would anyone talk me through the differences and point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

well... it depends. some hardware will work better with 10.1 while some works better on le2005. you have to test them. if you prefer stability over "latest packages", i would perhaps opt for 10.1 OE. but after some patching, le2005 can be pretty stable, too. so ... it depends. you can try le2005 first and in case it doesn't work well, you can always download 10.1 later.

btw.: i have both systems running and they are both stable for me so far.

From my current experience with Mandriva2005-LE, there is nothing to lose by choosing it.

While there may be some up to the minute hardware that may not be compatable, anything compatable with Mandrake10.1-OE will almost certainly still be compatable in Mandriva2005-LE (mandriva10.2) but this statement is not set in concrete.

Go with Mandriva2005-LE, you won´t be disappointed.

Cheers. John

Download 10.2 LE. Every single release over the past 3 years has had hardware that had to be played a bit, and other idiosyncracies. Just get the latest release, which is 10.2LE. For what it's worth, any x.2 release is the best of the series, without exception.