Installed new video card: Cant StartX

ral

I replaced the my GeForce2MX card with a GeForce4MX... New card was detected on boot, but now I cant start X.

I figured that maybe I should unsitall my NVIDIA 3123 drivers so I tried running the rpm -e command, but it said that the package was not installed.

HELP.

Run XFdrake to re write the config file. That should get you back into X

Or if your clever, use vi to edit the config file: vi etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Maybe the data base is screwed up, or maybe you didn't type the full name of the nvidia kernel/driver. An easy way to find apps and remove them is in KDE. Go to configuration. packaging. Kpackage. when there, click on file,find package ( not find file) just type nvidia. You can also remove it while your in Kpackage, driver first, then kernel. Install is the reverse order.

When you rebuild, go for the earlier nvidia driver, some people have reported problems with the latest version.

Okay...

Using Vi I looked at my XF86Config file and noticed that under Driver I have "vesa" and not "nv" (the default of my GeForce 2MX) nor "nvidia", the entry I made after installing the drivers.

So I change "vesa" to "nvidia"

This allowed to get X running but my mouse would not work. So I probed the video card and it again recommended the "vesa" driver.

I decided to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (using synaptic :) ) and went with the vesa driver recommendation.

X would not start again.

So I went back to Vi and changed back to "nvidia"...

After some more trial and error I tried configured the card as a GeForce 2 MX and used the "nv" driver.

Now everything works (except my max resolution seems to high 1400 x 1050... but I dont remember if it was that way too before the change. As per manufacturers specs my monitors max res is 1280 x 1024)...

A bit confused but am back here with Mozilla so I am a happy camper for now.

Will probably reinstall my NVIDIA drivers in a day or two.

It does not but I uninstall my 3123 drivers anyway.

RedHat 8 configures my GeForce 4 440MX as follows:

GeForce 4 Generic

Driver: "vesa"

= can't start X

The setting that works is

GeForce 4 Generic

Driver: "nv"

Maybe the "vesa" drivers are whatt are used by the real GeForce 4's (the Ti's)

Maybe the "vesa" drivers are whatt are used by the real GeForce 4's (the Ti's)
The vesa driver is a generic driver that has no support for 2D or 3D hardware acceleration. Use it only when both the nv and nvidia drivers have failed.