soundcard not detected [SOLVED]

coverup

After I failed to install 10.1 due to the infamous message "No CDROM device found", I decided to throw in 9.2. I used before without major (from todays perspective) problems. Setup didnot go smoothly, as it used to be - eventually I got stuck while installing packages. Nontheless, a workaround (reboot, then do update instead of install) allowed me to end up with a working system.

A few pieces of hardware are still dead - PCI Express X600 (use vesa so far), modem (don't care), and sound are among them.

Sound is ADI SoundMax Cadenza, and is not detected. Alsa driver fails to start on boot (it's checked in the services list, but the word next to it says "stopped"), alsaconf fails as well. lsmod lists no snd modules loaded.

I downloaded kernel sources and tried to compile the latest alsa stuff, but had errors.

I wonder if somebody can walk me through and help to configure sound. Thanks.

Edited by coverup

If you have a fast enough link, you could upgrade yourself to 10.1 now that you have the majority working.

Point your urpmi sources at the 10.1 Official, and then when you have main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree, type the following at the prompt:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

This will upgrade every single package. I've just done this for a 10.0 sound problem I had (but I went to LE2005 instead). You could do the same if you wanted.

When you've finished, before rebooting, type the following in su mode.

updatedb

slocate rpmnew

then make sure the rpmnew's are in place of the original files. The only exception will be one called "group".

Then, as you'll have the latest ALSA for whichever install you've gone for, you can then run alsaconf, reboot, and have the sound you wanted!

10.1 updates give ALSA 1.0.6a (kernel-2.6.8.1.24), LE2005 gives 1.0.8 (if you have the 2.6.11-6 kernel - see below).

If you upgrade LE2005, you'll have to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.11-6 to get a stable system.

Edited by ianw1974

That sounds like a big task. My connection is only 256kbps, and I have limited download quota. Besides, 9.2 uses 2.4.x kernel, and 10 and 10.1 stuff is compiled for 2.6.x. I am affraid that won't work.

The most amusing thing is that I have 10.1 powerpack cds, and they turned out useless. :devil: There should be a simple way out.

It would work fine, btw I did all this over my 128Kbps connection with download quota, it's not that bad.

Took six hours for me, and you have to update kernel since you'll have updated to 10.x anyway or LE2005 depending on which option you chose.

It does work fine, provided you make sure the rpmnew's replace the existing files. I had only two or three to change.

Since my system was new, the soundcard wasn't compiled for ALSA less than 1.0.4.

Remember, if you pointed to the 10.1 mirror, you would be upgrading as if you booted from a CD-ROM to upgrade. Then after you reboot, you would have 10.1 with a 2.4 kernel, so would be best to upgrade the kernel before you reboot after the upgrade.

It would work fine, btw I did all this over my 128Kbps connection with download quota, it's not that bad.

Took six hours for me, and you have to update kernel since you'll have updated to 10.x anyway or LE2005 depending on which option you chose.

It does work fine, provided you make sure the rpmnew's replace the existing files.  I had only two or three to change.

Since my system was new, the soundcard  wasn't compiled for ALSA less than 1.0.4.

Remember, if you pointed to the 10.1 mirror, you would be upgrading as if you booted from a CD-ROM to upgrade.  Then after you reboot, you would have 10.1 with a 2.4 kernel, so would be best to upgrade the kernel before you reboot after the upgrade.

Is it possible to do the same upgrade from CDs? As I said, I have 10.1 powerpack CDs but I can't use them for upgrade normal way. Instead of pointing to repositories, can I point to the CDs?

Yeah, you can do that also!

My DVD 10.1 media points to:

removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main

with the relative path set to:

../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz

so, you could give that a go, I reckon that'd work for you, provided your media is readable, and wasn't why your 10.1 installation was failing.

Yours might look slightly different since you're using CD media, but just find the media/main directory and hdlist1.cz for each disk and add to the Software Media Manager.

Edited by ianw1974

Thanks guys. I might give it a go.

10.1 did not install because at the very first step (hardware detection) it would complain that it can't find CDROM to boot from - being started from the CD. I've seen that others were having the same issue.

Yeah, you can do that also!

My DVD 10.1 media points to:

removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main

with the relative path set to:

../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz

so, you could give that a go, I reckon that'd work for you, provided your media is readable, and wasn't why your 10.1 installation was failing.

Yours might look slightly different since you're using CD media, but just find the media/main directory and hdlist1.cz for each disk and add to the Software Media Manager.

I eventually managed to get 10.1 installed (fresh install), but only with 2.4. This time sound card was detected as Intel chipset (whatever). Although initially sound was not working, after switching to another intel driver (from the list o suggested drivers in the hardware section), I have sound. Playback is not as clean as in Windows, and a bit quiter (even with kmix slider set to max), but it works.

Thanks guys for helping out. I now need to sort out 2.6 kernel issue - can't boot it, but that's subject for another thread.