Is there support for SATA drives?

Guest Maldain

Hi Scarecrow. A fast computer has nothing to do with the video card. It is to do with the CPU and the hard drives. Video card serves the monitor only., and has nothing to do with the number crunching speed of the computer which is the job of a computer. For games which require fast image response, most of the work used to be done by the cpu but is now done by the fast video card itself which is now a mini computer in its own right, however NONE of the video cards output goes to anywhere but the monitor or some sort of image display. That is why the vast majority of people who buy these fast video cards are gamers. No one else really has a need for them.

John

It does help with Graphics/OpenGL though. My laptop only has 32MB (maybe 64MB, not sure) Video RAM, and manages about 580fps for OpenGL stuff such as screensavers (I don't play games on it much). The laptop has 1GB of normal RAM.

The desktop has an ATI Radeon with 128MB Video RAM, and OpenGL is running over 1000fps, and only 256MB normal RAM.

I normally find my computer is only as fast as it's slowest component :P

Not to totally disagree with John, but if you have an older, smaller slower graphics card, you may think your computer is running slower because the time to draw windows and refresh the desktop takes longer, especially with KDE or Gnome, but really, with 32 MB and up, you really shouldn't notice that much difference, unless of course, you are gaming.