do I really need nfs? [solved]

ERD

hello, im about to configure samba on my laptop so my other (3 winXP, and 2 linux) boxes can access shares in it. i know how to do it, i have to install samba, possibly swat to configure it the easy way, add samba users, etc.

The question is, once i get samba up and running, do i need to keep nfs? i mean the daemons and software, i understand its used to share & conect to shares using nfs in unix or linux, but wont samba do the same thing? so, can i safely kill and remove (permanently) all nfs related stuff? i dont wanna remove nfs stuff only to find out that other stuff no longer works! :)

the network is like this;

3 boxes running XP pro

2 boxes running mandrake 10.1

all boxes except the laptop have fixed ips and laptop gets it from dhcp from the ADSL modem/router. internet "sharing" is done via the ADSL modem/router.

Thanks!

so, if i understand correctly, after removing nfs stuff i WILL be able to access shares on windows and linux boxes, i just wont be able to change permissions on other linux filesistems. is this correct?

(sorry about somany questions, im a total noob to linux)

so, if i understand correctly, after removing nfs stuff i WILL be able to access shares on windows and linux boxes, i just wont be able to change permissions on other linux filesistems. is this correct?

(sorry about somany questions, im a total noob to linux)

Yep, you'll access your Linux server directories from your Linux workstations just like a Windows share, i.e. no permissions, no links, etc, + all the SMB hassle (including user/group mess for shares shared with windows users and poor basic features.)

Linux to Linux: keep NFS. Why do you want to remove it ? Once set, it's much better and transparent.

im confused, heres exacly what i need:

- to access shares on windows boxes from my linux boxes

- to access shares on linux boxes from windows boxes

- to access shares on lunux boxes from linux boxes

- to have a "workgroup" where i can see and access all the boxes (both linux and windows ones) eg, in windows nethood i can see all boxes and in linux network i can see all boxes

can i do all this with just nfs? if so, can you point me in the right direction on how to set it up?

thanks!

Can you have full linux->linux filesystem control over Samba though?  (i.e. setting/altering remote files' permissions, creating symlinks and whatnot?)

the answer really is NO, but since ERD mentioned the SHARING of files between that mixed OS, we all know that SAMBA would do that.(SHARING). well, ERD if you really want to administer your other linuxbox from your, shall I say main LinuxBox, its better to enable sshd or the ssh-server on that other linux box... forget nfs. Try to check if ssh server has been installed already #rpm -qa | grep ssh , it should, if installed, show you openssh-server and openssh-clients, if installed, then you should now ready to access your other linux box thru shh.. how? using your konqueror browser at the location; type sftp://<ip-of-ur-other-linux-box> enter the username and password of your account on that other linux box... you cant use root, if I'm not wrong, by default, root is not alllowed to login thru ssh, but hey, your just trying to access and share files, right? Now, if you'd like to adminster your files, install additional software, make an update, to that other linuxbox from your main linux box, then use the konsole and type $ssh user@<ip-of-your-other-linuxbox> then enter password, and if you want to be root to have access on everything, just type at prompt$su then enter the root password... there, hope its clear and i'm not instead of helping, confuses you. so just forget nfs

thanks for your answers, but i dont really need to do remote administration. (i use VNC for that), all i need is that all boxes (both windows and linux ones) can have shares that can be accessed by all the other boxes. can NFS do this? if so, can you point me in the right direction on how to configure NFS?

thanks

PS: im sorry about all the questions, but im a complete newby to linux.